93 festiva stopped running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 festiva stopped running

i have a 93 festival auto gl i bought new and has 200k on it. a few days ago at a stoplight the car stopped, there was an acrid smell after it stopped which i thought was the engine catching fire which i found was the fusible link wire after getting the car towed home. it was the left fusible link wire, below on the holder listed as brown. cranking the engine there is no spark at the plugs or the coil checking at each location, i did not remove the fuel line yet to see if the fuel pump is still delivering gas to the fuel rail, ran out of daylight to do more and check if there is voltage to the coil and ignition controller. first question is the link that fried does that one control the fuel pump and ignition electronics? i am pretty sure it is, if so what causes it to burn out like that? i know a short but is it the fuel pump went out causing a short and burning the fusible link? do the fusible links when they get old oxidize, build resistance and then self destruct? there had been nothing wrong with the car prior to this other than the usual parts wearing out and maintenance. i am really sure someone has some experience and advise on this i do not even know where to get another fusible link to replace this one. i know ford does not have them and the local parts stores all look at me weird when i ask them for a fusible link and show them the one i pulled from the block. i really need the groups help this is my commuter car and i need it back on the road since i need the mileage this car gives me driving to and from work just a taste under 100 miles a day...... i have been my own mechanic on the car since i bought it. i am a certified harley mechanic from the evolution engine days of harley, i have since moved on and am now a tooling design engineer for boeing space systems so i have some knowledge of things but i have never had an issue like this with the car and really need some help and experience to pull from on this user group. did some reading and found the fusible links themselves and the connections corrode causing issues similar to mine it seems. one question is where and what do you do to replace the fusible links? i found 14 ga fusible link wire but the one i burned out is clearly 18 ga wire. it cannot be as simple as just using 18 ga wire and putting it back into place. i just would like some feedback/confirmation from people familiar with this before i try wiring up a kludge fusible link wire turning on the key to start checking things and burning up the down-link wires in the wiring harness or setting the car on fire. there are fuses to replace the fusible link wires it seems but i dont know the proper amperage's or shape to fit that under the hood fusible link block holder i can find online or at the local pep boys or o'rileys parts store. some help please!

Purchase PAL fuses at your local auto parts. 30A pink on the outsides, 40A green in the middle. Plug them in. Throw the fusible links away and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
      “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

I've had links burn from Corrosion.
        I replaced mine with long leg pal fuses pink on the out side and green for the main.
        I would check the wiring over and if nothing is burned put in a new fuse and give it a shop.
        The block can be disassembled and cleaned with a small screw driver or a spade remover tool.
        This is a picture is saved from someone on here sorry I don't remember who.

Comment

william, I'm thinking that is bravekozak's pic.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks tom that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.

Comment

Guys many thanks, feel allot better with what i have to do next. if a customer had brought in a bike with a blown main load fuse like this i would pull out the wiring diagram, trace the units on the circuit, disconnect them, then check the main wire for short, reconnect each item till i found the issue. i could rely on my experience and the tribal knowledge in the shop which i do not have here or a clear wiring diagram to know what items to look for or knowing they were the weak link and the most likely culprit. you guys are that all important tribal knowledge, i was really shy like i said powering things back up and doing some real damage to a intact wiring harness with no burnt or melted wires anywhere in that harness. you guys confirmed that it is just corrosion and resistance burning out the fusible link. your input on the PAL fuses, BIG HELP, i could get no clear answer on those at all... this weekend i will be getting the fuses, cleaning the fuse block and looking forward to cranking it over and the festi running like before, thanks again for the assist!!!

Comment

How about some pictures of your car.
                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

The fusible link that blew is EGI (engine). That circuit sends B+ to the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel pump switch & VAF, injectors, CPS (distributor), computer, CANP solenoid, & IAC solenoid, all through the Main Relay contacts. Ignition is powered through the ignition switch. You don't have a schematic? The EVTM is the book to have - Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual.
                  When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Replaced my fusible links today with the pal fuses, really happy with them! Thanks for the info from this thread. Someone previously used some wire and female connectors to replace one, and I believe it was causing weird idle issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X