Oil catch can for valve cover blow by

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil catch can for valve cover blow by

Looking around in the forum about oil blow by and finding a bit of oil I'm my intake tube got me wanting to change my setup a little. I searched on eBay and found a couple styles like

And another with a filter out of the top

Looks like they are designed to bypass the pcv valve and the valve cover blow by hose.

Any thoughts on doing this mod to keep oil out of my intake? Should I go for the model with the air filter on top?

I remember this has come up before. A search of the site could bring up some info while waiting for replies.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Not sure what is going on??

Comment

Search more online too. Theres tons of info about catch cans besides whats on this site. I just installed one and dont have feedback yet of how well it works. The first one is just an empty can with no baffles or filters. It doesnt bypass anything, just goes in the line. It wont catch it all, maybe not even very much. Your better off making one yourself. Second one you would run the hose from your pcv vale to it, block off the other port and the port on your intake manifold. It would work well, much better than the first. Another style that i bought is an inline one that has baffles and filters in it and keeps all the regular plumbing. It should catch most if not all the oil. I installed mine, cleaned the intake tubing and manifold and gained 1.5-2mpg. Look up the different styles and what they do/dont do. Then decide what you need. Tons of guys build their own. In a week or so i should be able to report how well mine is working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I read a little here and there on the site, I will keep searching. In no rush to pull a trigger on anything. I need to read about baffles apparently!

Comment

Oil catch can for valve cover blow by

I had a guy custom build me one. Was cheaper than comparable ones on ebay. Heres a little blurb about catchcans he did. Just keep in mind a homemade one will do enough for what most festiva owners want. http://www.ebay.com/gds/Buying-the-R...9384879/g.html

Last edited by ryanprins13; 02-27-2016, 09:30 PM.

Comment

On the B6T I took the valve cover line that is supposed to go back into the intake line and instead ran it to a catch can. On a B3 I imagine that line is not there, so you would come off the PCV valve port instead.
              My catch can is literally a 1 L Red Line style oil bottle with a hole in the cap for the rubber tube from the valve cover to go into, and 3 small holes drilled in the side of the neck to vent it. Zip ties hold the bottle in the engine bay.
              Why not try that, and check what your blow by collection looks like after a while? See how scuzzy it is, that might help you decide what you want to go for. Mine is pretty scuzzy and I decided I do not want it back in the oil sump.
              I am not sure how much help more baffle will be for you, the path in the valve cover is internally baffled already, yet it can still let a lot of oil out with the blow by. Will more help?
              Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
              Icetiva-3-race-car-build
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
                On the B6T I took the valve cover line that is supposed to go back into the intake line and instead ran it to a catch can. On a B3 I imagine that line is not there, so you would come off the PCV valve port instead.
                My catch can is literally a 1 L Red Line style oil bottle with a hole in the cap for the rubber tube from the valve cover to go into, and 3 small holes drilled in the side of the neck to vent it. Zip ties hold the bottle in the engine bay.
                Why not try that, and check what your blow by collection looks like after a while? See how scuzzy it is, that might help you decide what you want to go for. Mine is pretty scuzzy and I decided I do not want it back in the oil sump.
                I am not sure how much help more baffle will be for you, the path in the valve cover is internally baffled already, yet it can still let a lot of oil out with the blow by. Will more help?
                Baffles in a catch can are only desired if you are still running it in the closed system, you aren't. I chose to keep mine a closed system and just put the catch can between the pcv valve and intake manifold port. Obviously you can choose not to and catch 100% of the oil with just a bottle like you do. Also the baffles are between the inlet and outlet port of the can to prevent whatever oil does come through from going in and straight back out, as the ports are quite often close together on cheaper cans.

Comment

A large gap between the input and output should help separate the oil from the air. For example use an elbow in the input hose to direct the mixture down into the can and leave the ouput hose at the top of the can, or just shove the input hose half way into the can with the ouput at the top.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                  X