Oil burner after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil burner after rebuild

I recently rebuilt my Festy's engine and I have driven 1500 miles on that motor. I've had to replace the front main in that time. I put in new rings, valve stem seals and all the gaskets but I still have huge clouds of smoke on acceleration, especially from first. Compression test shows 142 psi +- 5 psi in all 4 cylinders. Any ideas or ways to test what the problem could be?

How much oil does it use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Possible rings installed wrong or not broke in right .

Comment

Did you hone? Was the bore technically honeable? Was any ring Ridge removed prior to pushing down the aluminum and rings? Or Was it a clean start from being bored at a shop?

Valve seals are not too hard to do wrong, other then tearing the rubber.

The smoke in acceleration, is it after coast down ( down shifting, engine drag with throttle closed., ), or excessive idling? . Those are signs of sucking oil past stems and guides with vacuum.

If it's just pumping out blue smoke wot or pussy driving, then I'd gamble the Rings are not wiping the walls properly, whether its a ring or cylinder wall issue, or not clocked or installed properly.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
        Last edited by jason_; 03-04-2016, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I rebuilt it on a budget, so I did most of the work myself. I used a flex-home to hone the cylinders and used new pistons and rings. Although, the ring gap on cylinder 1 was barely within spec because I had to hone out a score in that cylinder, but all sparkplugs are brown. I got the master rebuild from Rockauto so I just used everything in that kit. I'm not sure quite how much oil it uses as of yet, I haven't been driving much since I did the front main. Compression is 145 on all 4 cylinders so I know at least my compression rings seated. To answer jason_'s questions, I notice it more after I coast down a road and then give it some gas and when I go into 3rd during normal driving. If I shift at 2000 rpm there is minimal smoke ie at 25mph in 4th there is next to no smoke.
          Last edited by krock26; 03-04-2016, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Forgot to say I don't notice any smoke at idle, just when driving.

Comment

did you do anything on the head? could be worn exhaust valve guides, they may be leaking in to the exhaust port and that could explain why your spark plugs are ok...

Comment

To easily void one issue.

Take valve cover off and cam out, buy/make a rig to spin in plug hole and pump air pressure in each bore, and kill valve Springs, and check the seals. Maybe rock and check guide.

But if seals are good, oil won't get past guide.

If valve seals didn't get upset or damaged, then something went flakey with rings, or they can't compensate with the bore/cylinder wall they're wiping against.

Did you follow any dots, edges, directions on the Rings? There can be right and wrong ways to install them..

Did you use an actual ring installer? Or walk them on and hope for the best?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
                Last edited by jason_; 03-05-2016, 03:09 AM.

Comment

If removing valve cover inspect underside for carbon deposits, indicating leaking exhaust valve. Deposit will be right above leaking valve.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I took the valve cover off at 500 miles to torque the head bolts, nothing unusual with that. The compressions rings had dots, but the lil control rings didn't have any direction. I plan to replace the seals over spring break here in a couple weeks without removing the head so I'll see how that goes. If it ends up being the rings there's a protege with an sohc 16 valve engine that I'll look at buying.

Comment

Working...
                    X