No announcement yet.

Rear wheel wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you balanced them you use a cone in the center of the wheel. But when you check them for the 3/16's run-out you are supporting the wheel in different spot. My shoot from the hip guess is the problem lies in the drum to wheel mounting surface. Try the steel spacer saver for run-out next time he is in.All this is assuming you didn't use an "On the Car Wheel Balancer". If thats the case forget everything I said. But those Alloys might be the problem...
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Next time its in maybe bring a spare drum of yours in. Can you check for run out just on the drum when its on the car? If the drum itself has excessive run out then try another drum and see if its the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This has been interesting. I think all the areas have been hit on but I'm thinking of the geometry of this. It seems to me that something is canted out of perpendicular to the axis that is through the axle. Otherwise there would be misalignment, but not wobble. That would be the critical areas that run in a perpendicular plane, the brake drum mounting surface, the wheel mounting surface and bolt holes, and the wheel bead seats and flanges. They could all be measured. If those are all good, then the wheel must not be fully seated on the drum. I can't think of another possibility.
        When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Bent wheels are fairly common on these cars

Comment

I have a bent wheel but it shows up on the wheel balancer. The ones in this post don't. I keep mine as a spare with a snow tire for winter.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

When I can I'll swap on a known good drum and report.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
              X