Fuel filter: difference between carb and FI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter: difference between carb and FI

I happened to notice (15 years after buying my first Festy!) that the fuel filters are not the same on all of my dozen+ Festies.

I looked at one of my carbed cars (an 89LX manual) and see a little $5 see-thru plastic inline filter, while one of my FId cards (a 91 or 92 L manual) has a large metal axial can, with the inlet line on the bottom and outlet line off the top.

Assuming this is representative of all carbies vs. FIs, why the switch to the obviously-costly large metal can style?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, attached is a photo of a can-type filter I pulled from another thread.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 03-14-2016, 11:22 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

What I think you should do is go with an inline clear fuel filter, because you can see flow through it and if it is getting dirty.

The metal cans have more room to filter - but you can't tell what is going on

I think the reason for the metal ones is that they can take higher pressure that EFI will put on them.
    Last edited by Greywolf; 03-15-2016, 12:23 AM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Plus the metal ones can handle the 40+ psi of efi fuel pressure, the carby filters are designed for 4-6 or so psi.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

i noticed in the JY how the aspire filter is mounted so much more accessible near the strut tower. wonder if that bracket could be adapted onto the festiva.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
          i noticed in the JY how the aspire filter is mounted so much more accessible near the strut tower. wonder if that bracket could be adapted onto the festiva.
          I don't even use a bracket on my Festiva's fuel filter. I just zip-tie the filter's upper pipe to one of the brake lines on the master cylinder.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

ya ford put it in one of the worst places especially for rust belt cars. anybody know why they use rubber isolators on the bracket? a safety thing or a NVH thing?

Comment

My EFI fuel filter looks like it's upside dow but thats the way the"Flow" arrow points correctly towards the engine

Comment

Working...
              X