Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 Ford Festiva (australia) Ford Aspire (USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Ford Festiva (australia) Ford Aspire (USA)

Hi all. I hope that someone might help. Recently my car reved high when the car first starts. Once you get down the road a bit it seems to sort itself out. This seems to happen when it is cold. We were told to replace the TPS so we did. Worked for about a day then back the reving high at start up. If you mess around with it and get the idle sorted, it then drives like a slug. Put your foot down and there is no get up and go. You adjust that and it goes back to idling high. Took it to a mechanic and they
    cleaned off the throttle control valve and adjust the throttle adjustment screw
    Thought they had fixed it but sadly no.
    So, it happens when it's cold. If you let the car cool down and start it again, it happens again.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Sounds like the IAC, (idle air control) valve. It might need cleaned.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

As you can tell I'm not car savvy at all. I'm guessing that is different to the throttle contol valve.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

Does your car have fuel injection or a carburetor?
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Fuel injection i believe.

Comment

Send pic of engine bay, focus on center of valve cover for reference. We can point you to parts and possible solution from there.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

A carburetted engine has a big round air filtre in a metal canister on top of the carburettor. A fuel injected engine has a rectangular air filtre in a plastic(?) box.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                A carburetted engine has a big round air filtre in a metal canister on top of the carburettor. A fuel injected engine has a rectangular air filtre in a plastic(?) box.
                Definitely EFI
                Last edited by catfrog28; 04-03-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  Send pic of engine bay, focus on center of valve cover for reference. We can point you to parts and possible solution from there.
                  Have to get to work. Will take pic as soon as i can.
                  Last edited by catfrog28; 04-03-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Nice, OK so I done mean to offend in any way but I'm gonna be as plain as possible to avoid confusion.
                        The large plastic tube is the intake tube (feeds from the air box), that's attached to the throttle body (TB). The TB is then mounted to the upper intake manifold. To the passenger side of the upper IM is the idle air control housing. the icm itself is about 30mm round and 50mm long has a grey plug. 2 things to try here: with the engine warmed, pull the grey plug to isolate the ICM. Then once the engine cools over night, fire it to see if the idle shoots up. If it does, spray the housing flange with carb cleaner or brake clean and note if the idle changes. We're looking for a thermally controlled air leak.

Please keep in mind that I'm on the opposite side of the world and this is the best way for me to help diag the issue. I won't suggest parts until the fault is repeatable and isolated.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                          Nice, OK so I done mean to offend in any way but I'm gonna be as plain as possible to avoid confusion.
                          The large plastic tube is the intake tube (feeds from the air box), that's attached to the throttle body (TB). The TB is then mounted to the upper intake manifold. To the passenger side of the upper IM is the idle air control housing. the icm itself is about 30mm round and 50mm long has a grey plug. 2 things to try here: with the engine warmed, pull the grey plug to isolate the ICM. Then once the engine cools over night, fire it to see if the idle shoots up. If it does, spray the housing flange with carb cleaner or brake clean and note if the idle changes. We're looking for a thermally controlled air leak.

Please keep in mind that I'm on the opposite side of the world and this is the best way for me to help diag the issue. I won't suggest parts until the fault is repeatable and isolated.
                          No offense taken. Thanks. I have it at the mechanics at the moment and will mention what you have said. They are a little perplexed too. I thank you for your time. Plain talk for me is good.

Comment

Hi. Back again. Finally got the car back. No one can find the problem. We have a 1998 Festiva as well as the 2000 one. Took them both into the workshop so they could swap the sensors and try and replicate the problem but they couldn't. They are as dumbfounded as us. Have taken it to another reputable mechanic and they said it was 'normal' for a car that age to rev so high when it's cold. Then said that is could be the spark plug contact. We call 'bullshit' but I'm not a mechanic. At our wit's end. Please, anyone with suggestions? Would appreciate any. Please help... TIA.

Comment

Did they perform the tests as stated above?

Comment

Working...
                              X