'91 L - Need to rebuild manual steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '91 L - Need to rebuild manual steering rack

I found that Rockauto has a service for you to send in your rack and have them rebuild it, but I need it done in a weekend and I prefer to do everything myself (I'm VERY anal about details). Does anyone know where to buy the internals? Gear lash feels tight, just need bearings, bushings, spacers, seals, etc... Also, any tips on How-To? Do I need to remove the pinion to be able to slide the rack out? Thanks guys
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

He's out of stock right now, but should have more in a few weeks if you can wait a bit. AFAIK you can't find factory replacement bushings for the 90+ racks, fourgreen has them but only for the 88/89 racks. The bushings in the racks The Festiva Store sells are turned out of delrin bar stock.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

What is the link to The Festiva Store?

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

It's in my post.

Here it is again: https://squareup.com/store/the-festi...-steering-rack
        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Oh thank you

Comment

How do I identify 1 rack from another in the car.I need to order tie rods but do not know what rack is in the car as far as year and manual or automatic.Dont want to have to take things apart before I have new parts in hand.Thanks
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
            X