Check Engine Light Code 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Engine Light Code 16

So the 89 LX is just about ready to sell. I took it out last week and the CEL came on. Today I checked the code and it is giving code 16. Can anyone tell me what this is telling me and what part needs to be replaced? Thanks.

Code 16 is the "Please don't ever sell me!" code. The light will go off permanently only if you verbally apologize to your Festiva and promise to never ever think of selling it again.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 04-09-2016, 06:17 PM.

Comment

^^^ correct!
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Sounds like somebody's been spending 'way too much time lying on his back under his Festiva.

According to the Haynes manual on the carbretted engine a 16 is EGR valve position sensor "Check the EGR valve position sensor and the circuit for an open or short circuit" The only time I had the light come on it was a 16 because I started the engine with the passenger's side, and only the passenger's side, up on a jack stand. After I lowered the car back down and restarted the engine the light went off. In your case, I don't know, maybe the valve is sticking. It is easy to take off and clean, just 2 bolts and 2(?) hoses. Just be careful not to damage the rubber diaphragm inside the valve. You can test the valve on the car by gently pushing up from below with a finger to see if it moves smoothy. Hope that helps.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          Code 16 is the "Please don't ever sell me!" code. The light will go off permanently only if you verbally apologize to your Festiva and promise to never ever think of selling it again.
          My son and I currently have 11 Festiva's. One was delivered last week but I brought another home so currently holding at 11. It is time to sell a few of them but they only go to good homes.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
            Sounds like somebody's been spending 'way too much time lying on his back under his Festiva.

According to the Haynes manual on the carbretted engine a 16 is EGR valve position sensor "Check the EGR valve position sensor and the circuit for an open or short circuit" The only time I had the light come on it was a 16 because I started the engine with the passenger's side, and only the passenger's side, up on a jack stand. After I lowered the car back down and restarted the engine the light went off. In your case, I don't know, maybe the valve is sticking. It is easy to take off and clean, just 2 bolts and 2(?) hoses. Just be careful not to damage the rubber diaphragm inside the valve. You can test the valve on the car by gently pushing up from below with a finger to see if it moves smoothy. Hope that helps.
            I will check this tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

Comment

Code 16 only indicates that the voltage signal detected in the ECA is incorrect for the MECS parameters. That could be caused by the sensor, circuit, ECA, or the actual position of the EGR pintle. Depending on how MECS is evaluating, besides the numerous vacuum control devices and hoses, the code may set from a problem with clogged passages, leaking EGR Valve diaphragm, ECT Sensor, the Radiator Temperature Switch, or exhaust backpressure. Passages may need cleaning as WmWatt said, either in the valve or the long passage in the intake manifold extending into the plenum. The Rad Temp Switch can keep vacuum from being available through the EGR Control Solenoid if it doesn't switch near 63* F. If you connect a vacuum gauge in place of the EGR Valve, you should be able to see no vacuum, when driving, until the coolant warms up. Pushing the valve diaphragm up partially at idle (touch when cool) should affect the idle or kill the engine.
              When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Working...
              X