Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High pitched squeak when turning right into the driveway..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pitched squeak when turning right into the driveway..

...any thoughts on what this may be? Its happened a couple times the last few days. Today when I heard it it would repeat when I would swing the wheel to the right quickly. Thanks for any input.

Dose it have power steering? If not try spraying the strut mount it maybe making the squeek when turning.
    Last edited by william; 04-16-2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
      Dose it have power steering? If not try spraying the strut mount it maybe making the squeek when turning.
      No power steering. I'll try the spray, thanks. Think it could be something in the breaks somehow?

Comment

I guess it could possibly be the steering rack as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I would jack up the front end, start it up and see what it does when you turn with and without the the wheels turning and with no weight on the wheels.
          Have someone "drive" the car while you look and listen.

Comment

Look for dried out joints i.e. outer tie rods and ball joint
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              Look for dried out joints i.e. outer tie rods and ball joint
              I replaced all on both sides last summer. I'm hoping its not the inner tie rod cuz I don't wanna mess with that one.

Comment

Inner tie rods don't move enough to cause what you describe, and replacing last year doesn't mean they're not dry now.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Possible to put on new parts with not much lubricant if they came that way from China. You can use a 4"-5" length of garden hose or similar as a stethescope to help narrow down the location of the noise. Do you know the usual checks for CV joints and bearings?
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Its coming from the front end of the car rather than the steering wheel or column inside the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I sprayed the strut mount down and seems to have taken away the squeak. I drove around today and no squeaking at all BUT I now hear a clunking sound in low gears. When I shift from 1st to 2nd and I don't make a real clean shift, you know, kinda going slow and jerk a little into 2nd there is a clunking sound from what sounds like the drivers side front wheel side. I can replicate the sound every time I am revving high in 1st gear and slow down and shift to 2nd quickly. Clunk clunk. Thanks for the first fix. Now I have another one. It will do that in 2nd to 3rd as well. But not the higher gears when I attempt the same shifting?!?

Comment

Motor trans mounts?

Comment

To check motor mounts you could rock back and forth between 1st and reverse and listen for the clunk. To confirm you have to get under the car with a pry bar and test the mounts for "excessive play" because other things like sway bar bushings could also make the clunk noise.
                          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                          X