No announcement yet.

Brake bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again for all the responses. I ended up purchasing a vacuum pump and that helped a lot. Finished off the job by having Isaac, my youngest, helping with the "old fashioned" method of pump and release. Brakes seem pretty firm for now. Time will tell once I get the wheels on and the car on the ground and on the road!

Ian
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Good!
      Just curious because i bought one and want to use it soon- how well did the vac pump work? Did you like it? Did it not bleed it completely or did you finish it off with the regular method just to be sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One of my favorite tools that I highly recommend is my Motive power bleeder (www.motiveproducts.com). It's basically a small (about 1 gallon) Hudson sprayer (like a weed sprayer) with a manual air pump, an air gauge, and a dip tube that goes to the bottom of the tank. It supplies pressurized brake fluid to the reservoir via an adapter that goes on in place of the reservoir cap. To use it you put some brake fluid in it, put the adapter on the reservoir, and hook the hose up. Start out with the reservoir filled 1/2 way or so. Close all of the bleed valves at the wheels. Then pump the bleeder up. Only a little fluid will go into the reservoir, until it is at the same pressure as the bleeder. Now you can just open each bleeder in whatever order and fluid will come out until you close it. The master cyl reservoir will stay full, so you don't have to watch it.

Advantages: You don't need a helper. Maintains positive pressure on entire system so no air gets sucked in. You can put a gallon of fluid in it, no need to keep checking the M/C reservoir. You can pump it up to 40psi or so, so you can really move some fluid, and it's continuous flow so air doesn't have a chance to climb up & stay in vertical line sections like stop & start methods (pumping the pedal).

About $100 with a selection of nicely machined cap adapters, about $50 for just the pot. I have made my own adapters for odd reservoirs out of a spare cap by drilling a hole in the cap & gluing a barb fitting in, but the machined adapters work better and are well worth the money I think. I have had mine for years & it still works great. I don't really care to use any other methods after doing it this way.

I have no connections with this company, I just like their product.
        Ok, I've seen the future. Can I go home now?

'93 Festy, Aspire underwear
        '88 Carbed Festy, 44.7 MPG 4 year average. Whoopee! (RIP)
        '01 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew. Somewhat less than 44MPG.
        '92 Vette, 21.9 MPG 7 year avg.
        '07 Impala Flex-Fuel 29MPG Gas, 18MPG E-85
        '15 Chevy Cruze (kid car) 38 mpg
        '14 Chevy Sonic (kid car) 40mpg
        '79 Cevy step van (mobile shop) 1 gpm
        '56 Chevy Pickup, bone stock, 12MPG
        2 '69 VW's, 29MPG
        '80 HD Sportster, 56MPG avg.
        '06 Yamaha TW 200 80 mpg
        1956 Ford

Comment

Working...