Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front crossmember rotted out and laying on stabilizer bar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front crossmember rotted out and laying on stabilizer bar...

....I guess I found where the clunking noise was coming from. The front transmission mount is attached to this crossmember so that is not good. Any way to fix this? I have no welding experience at all. The front weight of the thing is resting on the stabilizer bar. Dang, still don't have 100,000 miles on this car.

This is a fairly common problem. You can go all out and build a new radiator support as Charlie has done (and Gomez has a lot of pictures in his build thread). But if you just want to keep your stocker on the road that's a bit overkill... here's a thread with a few ideas:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

The condition of the rest of the radiator support will dictate how much you have to do. If it's mostly just in the area where the bolts go through you can probably get a long piece of flat stock and slide it in there and either weld it in place or bolt it in place, with nuts welded on the backside or cut access holes to hold the nuts with a socket.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Thanks for the reply and info.

Comment

Working...
      X