Transmission Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Sensors

Are the two sensors in the pictures below interchangeable? They look pretty much identical (to my eyes). The reason I ask is because the sensor by where the axle enters the transmission has a wire pulled out and probably isn't fixable, but I have access to a spare trans that has a good sensor, but its the other one found on the trans. The sensor on the spare transmission by the axle is broken in the same way as mine. Also, just so I know, what is the purpose of both sensors?

Broken one:
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Good one:
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

IF they are not interchangeable, does someone have a spare sensor that they could send me? I'm doing my engine swap on Friday and need it ASAP.
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

I recall someone else asking about this. Do you have an FSM? If not check my sig.

I can't remember specifics, but one of them is practically useless, IIRC.

EDIT: Just checked my trans manual. The good plug goes to the backup lamp switch, and the broken one is for the neutral switch. Mine is broken too, and it doesn't seem to matter.
    Last edited by sketchman; 04-26-2016, 10:40 AM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

The one down by the axle is called the 'fifth gear sensor'... no idea what it's for though. I don't know if the two switches you've pictured are interchangeable. I've got a couple of spare transmissions. If I get a chance I'll have a look later today.

Cheers

Ian
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Trans manual says neutral switch.

Attached Files
        Last edited by sketchman; 04-26-2016, 10:55 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I thought neutral safety switches were only on Autos? Strange.

I believe this was broken before I removed the trans, so it may be useless, like you said. Trans didn't really act strange.

If it's the 5th gear sensor, that'd be strange because this is a 4-speed. Kinda starting to sound like I don't need it, which would be great.
          1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
          2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

Comment

I know on Neons the neutral safety switch was on the clutch pedal, and it was for making sure you didn't start the car in gear, hence the name. Why it exists on Festivas is beyond me. Mine has been broken since I've had the car, and it functions fine without it.
            Last edited by sketchman; 04-26-2016, 11:12 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Ok good, I won't worry about it then

Comment

Working...
              X