odd performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd performance

ok she a 91 1.3L carb festiva, if i go out and let it warm up for a few minutes it runs fine BUT if i go out get it running and start to drive when the motor isnt fully warmed up its gets realy bad flat spots

i know being carbed it has to warm up but if i just drive it i can go on an hour long trip it runs exactly the same after an hour of running as it does at the start , motor is red hot and still flat spots.

it only goes good when the motor is totaly cold then allowed to warm up on its own
    i run 98 octane fuel which is the highest octane fuel sold at the pumps here in aus so its not cheap fuel and i doubt its a bad batch cause its been doin it for a while and i've been getting fuel from diffrent stations

it could be the fuel you are running. I don't know a whole lot about carbs, but on my '93 1.3L EFI I had to run 93 octane once because that was all the gas station had and I was almost out of gas. I normally run 87 which is the lowest we have in the US. By the time I was 20 miles down the road the motor was running really rough and backfiring and it wound up burning one of the valves really bad. I think maybe the gas was just too good for the motor, and it was causing detonation and other problems.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

in my 95 aspire i run 87 and runs great, i think ur running to high octane for our small engines, go to mid grade or low and see if it helps
      2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
      1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
      1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
      http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

My guess would be the accelerator pump on the carb. When you step on the gas it squirts a small amount of gas into the carb.
        ~Jeff
        1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
        1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
        2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Working...
        X