89 auto runs fine cold, sputters at temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 auto runs fine cold, sputters at temp

Specifically when stopped and idling. Will sputter and sometimes die. Has a bit of hesitation for a second when accelerating from standstill. Problems only happen when warmed up. Girlfriend read idle air control or egr, but wanted to see if it could be anything else as well.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk
    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

You don't have an egr, so that's out. Check your throttle body for gunk, and maybe back out the base idle screw out a half turn.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Once it warms up and the idle dies down it might be having trouble sucking fuel. Dirty looking fuel filtre? People have reported problems with ancient rubber line into the filtre collasping at the tight bend coming up from underneath the body.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

^ all autos are fuel injected.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
        X