Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 Auto EFI Misfires and Stalls at Idle/Low RPM

My car is giving me a serious migraine.

As specified in the title, it is an '89 auto, fuel injected. Earlier this week, my car started misfiring at long stops (car being up to temp at the time). It only happened once the first time, and it was like the car lurched forward out of nowhere. The second day, it happened a few more times, always at long stops while the engine is hot. It finally started stalling out yesterday, though it will immediately crank and turn over after a stall with no objections. I can muscle through the misfires and prevent a stall as long as I keep accelerating. Any slow downs or stops and it falters and will stall if I don't punch it. This happens in drive and in reverse, which I found out yesterday. The VAF is perfectly clean, main intake hose solid, no apparent vac leaks, distributor cap new and clean, throttle body clean. I tested for spark and all good there. I'm literally at a loss.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Distributor failing would be my guess.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Fuel filter?
      Spark plug wires?
      Timing?

Comment

Also look inside the coil for corrosion (where the coil wire plugs in). I had this happen to me, and it was a gradual buildup of corrosion in there, so that the coil wire to the disty no longer had a good electrical connection.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Spark plugs are fine, distributer is fine, I'll get on checking the coil and the fuel filter.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            Also look inside the coil for corrosion (where the coil wire plugs in). I had this happen to me, and it was a gradual buildup of corrosion in there, so that the coil wire to the disty no longer had a good electrical connection.
            We have a winner. The problem has been resolved for about a week, and it was exactly that. Every single other connection the plug wires made was mint, but that one was probably the rustiest wire end I've ever seen. Wire brushed all the rust off, slapped some Dielectric grease on, and it worked like a charm.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk
            1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
            Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
            daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
            A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Working...
            X