Timing Belt replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt replacement

Do I need to take the main Crankshaft bolt out in order to take my timing belt off when replacing the belt?
    1993 Festiva

Yes. Have to remove pass side motor mount to lower motor so that you can gain access to bolt. With #1 valves closed and piston at bottom dead center, I have feed rope thru spark plug hole. Then compressed rope to get bolt loose

Comment

Someone at Madness told me that I could put a wrench on it and hit the starter. I never tried it I use a strap wrench to hold the pulley then loosen the bolt before pulling the small ones.

Comment

Originally posted by bolokid View Post
        Someone at Madness told me that I could put a wrench on it and hit the starter. I never tried it I use a strap wrench to hold the pulley then loosen the bolt before pulling the small ones.
        When I did a timing cover gasket on my 3100v6 Monte Carlo, we put a breaker bar on the crank bolt, and put it against the floor and blipped the starter and broke the crank bolt loose first try.

My brother that helped me with this endeavor is a flat rate mechanic. So anything to save time and make things easier. Lol

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
          Yes. Have to remove pass side motor mount to lower motor so that you can gain access to bolt. With #1 valves closed and piston at bottom dead center, I have feed rope thru spark plug hole. Then compressed rope to get bolt loose
          Do you know what the torque specification is for the crankshaft bolt?

Comment

Manual says 80-87 lb-ft. Just my opinion: It's best to get the slack out of the bar/wrench with the above method, especially if you don't use a 6 point socket. Don't lower the engine enough to press the crank pulley into the body or it will bend; watch for pulled wires. You should be able to lower the engine enough by backing off the 2 outboard motor mount nuts & removing the inboard nut.
            When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Um, on my '89 all you have to do is remove the pulley, not the crankshaft bolt. Do you have the Haynes manual? I'd do a search of this forum on timing belt before starting. There have been lots of posts on the subject. As for dropping the block to get enough room to remove the pulley I found that putting a pry bar into the top motor mount and giving it a shove shifted the block enough to drop the pulley out.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

^^ Exactly as WmWatt said - the topic was timing belt not crankshaft pulley. (Note to self: I will not skip around reading and forget the topic of the OP, like an old guy or something..)
                When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Working...
                X