Rear Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Drums

Has anyone else had their hold down pins break loose while driving? I was on the highway almost a month ago and I hit a bump, then random intermittent breaking occurred in my left rear wheel with loud clunking. Checked it out and saw that the hold down pins had broken free and everything in the drums had become dislodged. Put in some heavy duty hold downs and haven't had the issue since.

The hardware kit was Raybestos and only had 1K miles on them (max).

The pins that go from the outside of the drum and the u-shaped spring goes on to hold the middle of the shoes? Did the little flanges strip off, the u-spring break, the pin snap in half or what? Ive never heard of it, but i could see the spring not being turned on the pin far enough and then coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The pins that came in 2 brake hardware sets I bought were aluminum. I just thought they seemed flimsy and reused the originals.
      "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
      "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
      "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
      "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
      "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
      "Wenona"-89L parts car
      "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

i seen those pins corroded down to half their original diameter here in the rot belt and never had one actually break.

Comment

They were new. I am tempted to say that Jim might be right. They may have been aluminum, but the originals were also GONE! They're heavy duty now. It was pretty loud, I thought my exhaust had fallen and was dragging the ground on the interstate.

Comment

Working...
          X