Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shifter bushing replacement - Any way to get all of them without a welder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter bushing replacement - Any way to get all of them without a welder?

I'm wondering if you can replace the welded piece with a nut and bolt/sleeve
    system or something. This would make it easier for me in the future since I
    don't have a welder. Has anyone tried this?

I wish I had pictures
    Last edited by SWRT; 05-24-2016, 05:01 AM.
    1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

You need bushings. It is a moving part. I thought about doing something with heim ends, but it needs to pivot in two directions.

Comment

You don't need a welder at all. You replace all six bushings with normal hand tools.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Tom, One of those has to be drilled out, unless someone already did that. I replaced that one with a shoulder bolt as per Advancedynamics mod that was posted.
        "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
        "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
        "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
        "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
        "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
        "Wenona"-89L parts car
        "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
          Tom, One of those has to be drilled out, unless someone already did that. I replaced that one with a shoulder bolt as per Advancedynamics mod that was posted.
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...nkage-write-up
          Ah, right, I forgot. You can replace four bushings with normal hand tools. If you want to do the last two, you need to grind off the welds holding the captured (i.e. non-removable) bolt, and either re-weld it, or (as I did) use a hardware-store bolt with a locknut/lock washer (and Loc-tite everything). You would have to open up one or both holes with a drill for the new bolt, which has an OD the same as the ID of the bushing.

So still no welder. Grinder, drill, sockets/wrenches. Or just do four and call it a day. Sometimes you will find that the front ones are still in good shape. I didn't use a shoulder bolt, just a regular bolt to replace the captured bolt. For the other angle on the universal, I used the stock shoulder bolt. I used blue Loc-tite becuz non-permanent fix; someday the stock Kia front bushings will have to be replaced again; but probably not for a long time.
          Last edited by TominMO; 05-24-2016, 10:21 AM.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I wish I knew what yall were talking about...
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
              I wish I knew what yall were talking about...
              Me too......it's about fixing the slop in the shifter as the bushings become old and broken up. Look under the car at the shifter, and notice the rod that connects it to the trans. There are bushings at both ends that need replacing periodically.
              Last edited by TominMO; 05-24-2016, 12:35 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I was going to ask about that - now I know.

THX
                Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  Me too......it's about fixing the slop in the shifter as the bushings become old and broken up. Look under the car at the shifter, and notice the rod that connects it to the trans. There are bushings at both ends that need replacing periodically.
                  Awesome, Thanks.

I knew it had something to do with the Slop in the shifter but I had know clue there were 6 and some weird bolts and stuff. Mine is horrible and needs fixed but I just deal with it.
                  "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                  sigpic
                  "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                  "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                  "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                  "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                    Awesome, Thanks.

I knew it had something to do with the Slop in the shifter but I had know clue there were 6 and some weird bolts and stuff. Mine is horrible and needs fixed but I just deal with it.
                    Luckily, the easiest two to replace are also the ones that give the most benefit--the ones right at the bottom of the shifter. If everything goes well (when does that ever happen?), it just takes a few minutes.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Luckily, the easiest two to replace are also the ones that give the most benefit--the ones right at the bottom of the shifter. If everything goes well (when does that ever happen?), it just takes a few minutes.
                      Tom, at Lakestiva you mentioned you got these from a Kia dealer. Do you have the part number for bushings?
                      1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
                      1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
                      2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

Originally posted by TWFodor View Post
                        Tom, at Lakestiva you mentioned you got these from a Kia dealer. Do you have the part number for bushings?
                        Here's a start, I will search some more....

From eurotiva:
                        "My local Kia dealer stocks them. They are $1.82 each. Ask for a 97 sephia shifter linkage bushings"
                        (Part # KKY01-46062)

At a Mazda dealer:
                        Bushings P/N - B001-46-062 (Get at your local Mazda Dealer) - "You'll need (6) bushings total"
                        (Note the similarity in P/N with the Kia's)

From a Ford dealer:
                        "go to your local Ford dealer and order them for a ZX2 shifter rod bushings, they are the same."

In fact, I think any shifter bushings from Festiva/Aspire/323/Capri/early Miata will work. I have taken shifters from all these cars, and they are all pretty much the same, except the Capri's was shorter on top; no doubt the Miata too.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 05-24-2016, 01:35 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Here's a start, I will search some more....

From eurotiva:
                          "My local Kia dealer stocks them. They are $1.82 each. Ask for a 97 sephia shifter linkage bushings"

At a Mazda dealer:
                          Bushings P/N - B001-46-062 (Get at your local Mazda Dealer) - "You'll need (6) bushings total"

From a Ford dealer:
                          "go to your local Ford dealer and order them for a ZX2 shifter rod bushings, they are the same."
                          Awesome, thank you. I'm so glad our cars are compatible with several different options.

Found the part number for the Kia bushings: KKY01 46062
                          Last edited by TWFodor; 05-24-2016, 01:29 PM.
                          1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
                          1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
                          2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

Excellent! I'll be grinding that off then. I'll have to check that thread when I get a few minutes. If I can find where in storage I put those bushings I may just do that this weekend Thanks again, guys!
                            1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by SWRT View Post
                              Excellent! I'll be grinding that off then. I'll have to check that thread when I get a few minutes. If I can find where in storage I put those bushings I may just do that this weekend Thanks again, guys!
                              Here is another very useful thread--started by you, ironically! :-)

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X