Timing Belt Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt Noise

I replaced my timing belt, tensioner, and spring, along with the upper and lower timing covers on my '90 Festiva. I have it back together, and it's making a noise like something's rubbing. I took it all apart and put it back together a second time already, and I can't see any evidence of anything. Thoughts??

Here's a link to a video of it running now:

Last edited by jrclark32; 05-28-2016, 03:04 PM.
    1990 Festiva - Throttle Body/Manual Transmission
    Bought in 2003 with 65k, now 219k

1988 Festiva - Carb/Manual Transmission
    Bought in 2015 with 150k

Can't see video just now as I'm on a slow dialup connection. Leave the covers off while running the engine for a view of what's happening? With the covers off use a piece of tubing as a stethescope to pinpoint the source of the noise.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Just pull the top cover first. That is often the source. You can mod the cover so it doesn't rub against the WP pulley. I also cut it off where the lower rear screw goes in, as it's hard to get at. Or just don't use that screw.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Just an update (sorry it's been so long)... I took the covers off to look for rubbing, and saw no evidence of that, so I put it all back together. After disassembling it 3 times, I said screw it and just started driving it short distances. The noise got a lot quieter after a few miles, then just intermittent, and went away completely after about 30 miles of driving. I'm still not totally sure what was going on, but apparently things needed to "run in"... She's purring along quietly now.
        1990 Festiva - Throttle Body/Manual Transmission
        Bought in 2003 with 65k, now 219k

1988 Festiva - Carb/Manual Transmission
        Bought in 2015 with 150k

Comment

Working...
        X