Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Bought Another Festy: Possible Seized Motor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought Another Festy: Possible Seized Motor...

I have a festiva that may have ran without water and heated up to a seized point. If this is true, do ya think there's any saving it? Has there ever been anyone here that had a seized motor, oiled it through the spark plugs, got it moving and running again?

Its a lottery, you might resurrect it, but think about it: if the pistons are the ones seized, your rings will most certainly be damaged. if your main and rod bearings are the ones seized then there isn't much you can do without taken all apart..
    Just put a some wd40 on the cylinders and see it it looses out...

Comment

Thank you Fordverde! I'll look into it tomorrow.

Comment

Ok here's what I did so far to check and see if Festiva (5 speed manual) is locked up or not.

I removed the starter to get at the flywheel and found that I was able to turn it around 1/2 way and then it would turn no more. (I did remove the spark plugs). That seems kind of strange to me because if I can move the flywheel then the pistons are moving up and down...but apparently only to a certain extent. The people who owned it before me tried to jbweld the thermostat housing casting where it apparently cracked. Well, it leaked and they say it got hot. When I first looked at it to buy it I also noticed that the wire to the thermostat housing was not connected. When I removed the thermostat housing I noticed antifreeze poured out so that shows that it wasn't totally out of water.

Does anyone have any ideas why the flywheel can turn only partially? I've got a good motor in another Festiva so I may just swap the bad motor for the good one.

I should also mention that the people before me did a head gasket job and I was told they were also in the oil pan, I think they removed it for some reason, maybe put in a gasket or something.

Comment

You could pull the valve cover to see if all the valves are still where they should be. Something is keeping the crank from rotating. Seems to me this would have to be either in one of the combustion chambers or in the bottom end, or possibly in the valvetrain itself; something breaking off. You might just be able to see something thru the spark plug holes too, with a strong flashlight.

That whole motor sounds suspicious; i.e. the previous owner did a hack job on it. I'm guessing you will be installing the other motor. Then you can pull that one apart at your leisure to see just what's going on with it.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just replace the engine.

Comment

I agree with zoe60 engines are cheap and it's a weekend at most job

Comment

Agree here too. From your description of the problem, I think you are wasting your time with that engine.
                Possibly cold water got into a very hot combustion chamber resulting in hydrolock in at least one cylinder.
                Could have locked the cylinder and broken a connecting rod...so you can turn the crank until the bottom of
                the broken connecting rod hits the bottom of the locked piston. Just a guess.

Comment

1990new is on the right track and the advice is good. I would also recommend sourcing a new engine, that one is a parts engine now.
                  91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                  82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                  85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

The engine in my other Festiva is from a 1994 Aspire and it runs really good. What is the easiest engine to find for a Festiva?...the most popular and cheapest?

Comment

Originally posted by ajbremer View Post
                      The engine in my other Festiva is from a 1994 Aspire and it runs really good. What is the easiest engine to find for a Festiva?...the most popular and cheapest?
                      Up this way Festys entirely disappeared off the roads 10 years ago and none of the auto salvage yards have any either kicking around either. If through some fluke you can scout out a senior's or housewife-owned late 1980s Mazda 323 etc the B6 SOHC in it would be your best bet for cost, ease of installation and compatibility with B3 trannies and drive axles. Hot-rodded B6 and B8 DOHC motors from Capris and GTX cars will mostly be cooked or already beat to death.

Comment

You might be lucky enough to find one of these brand new short blocks for $575 shipped like I did back in April.

It's now in Rosie...and of course running like new.
                        Last edited by 1990new; 06-05-2016, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajbremer View Post
                          I think you just answered your own question.....;-)
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
                            You might be lucky enough to find one of these brand new short blocks for $575 shipped like I did back in April.

It's now in Rosie...and of course running like new.
                            You got to be kidding me!!!! Where did you find that?????

Comment

Originally posted by Fordverde View Post
                              You got to be kidding me!!!! Where did you find that?????
                              On Ebay from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/usr/gtex_auto

It had only been listed about 24 hours and I think it already had seven watchers when I bough it for $574.48 shipped.
                              I have seen them come up before but this one was reasonably priced for a quick sale and it did sell fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X