Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this air intake part and what does it do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this air intake part and what does it do?

20160603_111031.jpg the rectangular-ish airbox connected to the air link in with an L shaped hose?????

20160603_111016.jpg Top view of air box thing

Comment

download.jpg
      This person got rid of the rectangular airbox.
      What's the ramifications though? What does that box do?

Comment

I could be totally wrong, but I think it is an air box muffler and there are no issues without using it.
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
          I could be totally wrong, but I think it is an air box muffler and there are no issues without using it.
          i'm pretty sure you are right, it just reduces intake noise without adding restriction. I've never had any problems with taking them off.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
            i'm pretty sure you are right, it just reduces intake noise without adding restriction. I've never had any problems with taking them off.
            +1, get rid of it with no worries. Cleans up the engine bay a bit.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Hate to rain on everyones parade.
              Run your car on a Dyno, remove hose to ballance chamber, plug off hole in intake, retest.
              Compare the two Dynographs to see where you lost torque, and how much !
              No car too fast !

Comment

How much torque can you really lose on a Festiva though? Google says we only have 73 to begin with.
                Last edited by firebush357; 06-03-2016, 01:55 PM.
                "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                sigpic
                "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                  Run your car on a Dyno, remove hose to ballance chamber, plug off hole in intake, retest.
                  Which you can simply and inexpensively get back by merely adding a Dickmeyer-prepared head and 4-1 exhaust header.....
                  Last edited by TominMO; 06-03-2016, 02:03 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                    Interesting. Do you have any info on this? I searched the net and the only balance chamber info I could find was for a dirt bike. Does it go by another name?
                    Rick
                    1993 Ford Festiva
                    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                    2000 Ford E350

Comment

Dragonhealer, I did a Google search for a 1990 Ford Festiva air intake balance chamber and I cannot find information describing what it does how it works and so on. Can you explain further what it does or how it works and do you have a link to a page or anything

Comment

Originally posted by meyek91974 View Post
                        Dragonhealer, I did a Google search for a 1990 Ford Festiva air intake balance chamber and I cannot find information describing what it does how it works and so on. Can you explain further what it does or how it works and do you have a link to a page or anything
                        Another name may be resonance chamber, it has to do with the volume and dynamics of the intake plenum. It eliminates a torque drop of about 3% at or just before torque peek. Still looking for that dyno test we did 2 years ago...
                        No car too fast !

Comment

The dotted line is first pull with chamber in place, solid line chamber blanked off.
                          the difference between the two lines is due to heat soak, but you can clearly see a loss of torque where the " horsepower " line crosses the torque line.

Thanks Tom, that's true

Looks like it won't upload the pic from my Android, 1.8Mb? Or some other glitch?
                          Guess I'm tech challenged !
                          Last edited by Dragonhealer; 06-03-2016, 03:46 PM.
                          No car too fast !

Comment

I drive slow and economical. Shift at 25, 35, 45, and cruise 50-55 in 5th.
                            Will omitting this effect me? Will it affect mpg?

Comment

Originally posted by meyek91974 View Post
                              I drive slow and economical. Shift at 25, 35, 45, and cruise 50-55 in 5th.
                              Will omitting this effect me? Will it affect mpg?
                              No. I fact I think the difference in torque is hard to even measure with the butt dyno.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X