Four Groove Pulley for AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Groove Pulley for AC

I just bought a new AC compressor and it has a 4 groove pulley and clutch.
    I know I can remove the pulley and clutch and put my single groove v belt clutch/pulley on it
    but it would be nice if I could just change the crank pulley and idler pulley and use the 4 groove one on the AC.

Is it possible to remove my single groove AC pulley and install a 4 groove Aspire AC pulley? My crank is the big 27mm one.
    Also would the 4 groove idler pulley fit on my current idler bracket?

My 91GL has the four groove pulley setup on it, but I also have factory P/S so that may have made a difference too. Or it may be the difference between factory and dealer installed a/c. Do you know if yours had factory installed? If not and you have the big nose crank the Aspire pulley should bolt right up and get you going.
    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Over the years I have owned 7 Festivas and as far a I know they all have had factory AC, so I have never seen dealer installed AC.
      So you have a main crank pulley with a single groove that runs the water pump and alternator and the AC / PS pulley is the 4 groove pulley?
      Is your power steering pulley used to tighten the belt? Since I don't have power steering, I would need an idler pulley with 4 grooves also.
      Can you post a picture of your setup?

Comment

Yes, I have single v-belt for the alternator and 4 groove does the a/c and p/s. The p/s pump is the adustment and has a bolt similar to the older single groove idler pulley for a/c without p/s. I can try and get you a pic tomorrow in the daylight so you can see it.
        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
          Yes, I have single v-belt for the alternator and 4 groove does the a/c and p/s. The p/s pump is the adustment and has a bolt similar to the older single groove idler pulley for a/c without p/s. I can try and get you a pic tomorrow in the daylight so you can see it.
          Thanks... I would appreciate it. It would be great if I could use the new compressor with that new clutch and 4 groove pulley.
          Today I finished flushing out all the AC components with mineral spirits and blew them out with dry air. I will let them sit in the garage a couple of days and then flush them again with a little acetone and the dry them out really good. I want to make sure that all traces of the mineral oil and contaminants from the lock up are gone before I put everything back together. My new compressor came without oil so I will be able to use PAG oil with the R134a.

Comment

I need a condenser for mine. It met a small object and knocked a hole in it. I may post in the forsale/wanted's and see if anyone has one laying around. If not a new one is $109 on rock auto.
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Couple more questions:
              If I find an Aspire 4 groove AC crank pulley, can I put it on without removing the center crank bolt? Hope so.
              Since the 4 groove crank pulley is wider, will it fit ok and not be too close to the frame? The center line of both pulleys must be the same.
              How about the idler Pulley? Can I get a 4 groove idler pulley that will bolt on to the current single groove tightening mechanism
              and be at the right distance to line up with the Crank and AC 4 groove pulleys?
              Will I be able to find these pulleys at a reasonable price used?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go to the trouble of doing this or just put the single groove clutch and pulley on the new compressor. The clutch is the same overall width and the center line of the single pulley appears to be the same as the centerline of the 4 groove pulley.

Last edited by 1990new; 06-06-2016, 08:17 PM.

Comment

I was looking at pictures of the 1991 Mazda Miata crank pulley and it looks like it is single in the back and 4 groove in the front.
                Anyone know for sure if that pulley fits the B3 big nose crank. Is that like the Aspire pulley?
                Is it all one piece?
                Last edited by 1990new; 06-07-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

It's 2 peace if it's like the b6d and b6t and yes it should bolt to the b3 no problems and the b6d and t has a built in rubber dampener.
                  And no need to remove the center bolt with the large nose pullies
                  I've been told you have to with the small noise but I'm not sure.
                  Also the 2nd Gen sohc b6 uses the outer 4 grove pullie but I don't think it's 2 peace like the dohc
                  The miata crank in 91 was likely a small noise tho.
                  Last edited by william; 06-07-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                    It's 2 peace if it's like the b6d and b6t and yes it should bolt to the b3 no problems and the b6d and t has a built in rubber dampener.
                    And no need to remove the center bolt with the large nose pullies
                    I've been told you have to with the small noise but I'm not sure.
                    Also the 2nd Gen sohc b6 uses the outer 4 grove pullie but I don't think it's 2 peace like the dohc
                    The miata crank in 91 was likely a small noise tho.
                    Thanks for the info william.
                    I know what to look for in an ac pulley.
                    Still need to know if the 4 groove idler puller will bolt right up to my existing adjuster or do I have to get a different adjuster.
                    Mine is the type that used a long bolt going thru the pulley bolt to tighten it.
                    Last edited by 1990new; 06-07-2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure on that one . All the 4 groove I have seen have power steering and are tightened with the power steering pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                        I'm not sure on that one . All the 4 groove I have seen have power steering and are tightened with the power steering pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                        OK.. Thanks.

If anyone has a four groove AC pulley that will bolt to my single groove alternator pulley big nose crank,
                        I'm willing to trade my large nose single groove AC pulley for it...but you have to hurry.
                        If no replies by tomorrow, I'm just going to put the old single groove clutch on my new compressor.

Comment

For those with dealer pumps:

I bought a Sanden pump with a multi-rib pulley.
                          I bought a single groove pulley (part number on box) and had it installed.

Comment

You can get a large nose BP crank pulley and it has the grooved ac pulley you need . Then get the belt adjuster off an aspire and it will all bolt up . Or as you stated get the adjuster pulley itself and it will bolt to your stock belt adjuster .
                            I read all that again and maybe I'm of on what your asking .
                            But I will look ,I probably have all this stuff if you need it .
                            Last edited by shadetree; 06-11-2016, 02:18 PM.
                            New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                              You can get a large nose BP crank pulley and it has the grooved ac pulley you need . Then get the belt adjuster off an aspire and it will all bolt up . Or as you stated get the adjuster pulley itself and it will bolt to your stock belt adjuster .
                              I read all that again and maybe I'm of on what your asking .
                              But I will look ,I probably have all this stuff if you need it .
                              I will try to explain better.
                              I bought a new compressor for my yellow LPlus and the clutch on it has the 4 groove pulley but the old AC pulley is the single groove as was the pulley on my old ac compressor.
                              I bought a new engine for the yellow car several years ago and it has the big nose crank with pulleys.
                              Since the brand new compressor has a brand new clutch, I though it would be nice if I could leave it on the compressor and use it.
                              Looks like you have answered the question about the 4 groove idler pulley on the Aspire being compatible with the single groove pulley adjuster on the Festiva.
                              Looks like all I need to use be able to leave the 4 groove pulley on my AC compressor is the outer 4 groove crank pulley and the Aspire 4 groove Idler pulley.
                              Please PM me if you find that you have these parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X