Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen washer pump

Gday,
    My windscreen washer pump is not working, I was wondering if anyone has any tips to diagnosing what could be the problem, if its a fuse or the actual pump is gone? Pump doesn't react when I use the switch on the steering column

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Robalan View Post
    Gday,
    My windscreen washer pump is not working, I was wondering if anyone has any tips to diagnosing what could be the problem, if its a fuse or the actual pump is gone? Pump doesn't react when I use the switch on the steering column

Have you checked if theres power going to the pump?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't have a multimeter but there is definitely no clicking or sounds coming from it

Comment

Is there a connection that is common to fault?

Comment

Is there a connection that is common to fault?

Not sure if the connector is faulty. Ive never has issues with mine. It would be very beneficial to purchase or borrow a multimeter to see if theres power going to it. If theres power and ground going to the pump, then the pump is done. Now if you dont get any juice to the plug then youll have to look into the wiring and fuse.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Comment

Does it run off the same fuse as the wipers? If so that is fine

Comment

I will look into a multimeter

Comment

The ground may have rusted. Check where it is grounded to the body. I've had my washer tank off to clean. It's an easy job.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

A 12V test light with a needle tip is all you need.
                  Power to the washer pump comes from the combination switch on the steering column. If the wipers work, then it's not the fuse or the inside ground.
                  If the washer motor gets 12V when you push to squirt, then the pump motor is fried.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 06-04-2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I will look into a multimeter
                    Definitely get one; you only need an inexpensive one. They are very useful tools to have around for vehicle electrical work, checking AA battery strength, troubleshooting my time machine, etc. Also a three-foot pair of wires (red and black) with alligator clips have proven very handy over the years, as extensions or temporary hookups. Just a couple of bucks.

A test light is useful for power/no power checks, but that is their limit. They can be convenient at times, and are very cheap.

If you don't know how to use a multimeter, there are plenty of tutorials online (Youtube, etc) to get you up to speed. I just searched on "how to use a multimeter" and lots of info came up. Plus the instruction sheet that should be in the packaging with the meter.

I'd pull the pump and touch the hot and ground wires directly to the appropriate battery poles. That would be the ultimate test for the pump. This is a case where the extension wires with alligator clips would be convenient.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 06-04-2016, 08:03 AM.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Silly me. You can test the pump off the battery, one wire from the +ive post to the +ive (red?) wire on the pump, another wire from the -ive post to the -ive (black?) wire on the pump or instead from the -ive wire on the pump to ground on the body of the car. I have a couple of wires with aligator clips on the ends for doing just this sort of thing. Once you kow the pump is good you can look at the connections and switches, ie to the battery and to ground.
                      Last edited by WmWatt; 06-04-2016, 11:16 AM.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
                      X