Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Parking Lights and No Blinkers and Radiator Fan is on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Parking Lights and No Blinkers and Radiator Fan is on...

I don't have any parking/running lights and no blinkers and no high beams. AND...as soon as I put my key into the running position, before the car starts, the radiator fan starts running. I recently swapped out my steering column for another one because my old one had electrical plug issues where they were deteriorating. My car is a 5 speed manual and the steering column that I put in it came from an automatic but I don't see any difference. Everything plugged into it just like the other column.

Some clarification please..
    Do you mean that you swapped just the column multi switch? or the entire steering column? Do you still have your original key/switch set?

Comment

Yes, I swapped the whole column...BUT...I just fixed the parking lights. I had to remove the large volume air flow meter to check out some wires within that area because I noticed a plug that wasn't connected anywhere and it had 4 large wires going to it. I looked on another Festiva that I own and noticed it went to what I think is a relay. After removing the whole volume air flow meter assembly I could easily get in their and look around. To my surprise, my whole relay was gone! I never got in there and removed it but yet I had blinkers before I replaced my steering column. But let me say this, the dude who had the car before me had it wired crazy with extra wires and some kind of security plug in device.

So I removed the relay from my blown motor festiva, put it into the one I'm working on, and bang!...I have parking lights! (but still no blinkers). Now I'm checking to see if it's the flasher. This ain't one of those systems where if I light goes out they all don't work is it?

Comment

You need an EVTM.

Turn signal/hazard flasher lamps and high beams all go through the combo switch on the steering column. Check it.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 06-05-2016, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Ya, I'll get a 'Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) as quick as I can. I'll also check out the combo switch...(if I knew where it was). There's a lot of plug ins at that steering column, which one is the combo switch?

Comment

AFAIK there is one difference between the manual and automatic steering columns and that is the neutral safety switch. On the manual the engine won't crank unless the clutch is depressed disengaging the driveline. I think on the automatic the engine won't crank unless it's in neutral. (Mine's manual so I don't know how it works on the automatic.) But I've seen the connection in the steering column is different for each.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Can that steering column 'combo switch' be replaced or do you have to replace the whole column? In the mean time I'll search here for a thread on that...thank you!

Oh, I just realized something: There's a white box on the steering column attached to the ignition/key mechanism and it's the buzzer actuator. Mine is broken so I have the 2 wires that go to it taped up...should they be connected? I'll go out there and try it and then see if my blinkers work.
              Last edited by ajbremer; 06-06-2016, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Here's a slightly confusing thread about the radiator fan and switch:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

The fan circuit works in reverse- when the temp gets hot the switch grounds the circuit- so it should not be installed with tape or sealant to keep it from grounding

Comment

Working...
                X