Oil on spark plugs and intake breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil on spark plugs and intake breather

My 89 festiva is getting small amounts of oil in the air intake breather and on 1 and 3 of the spark plugs. Trying to figure out what this might be. I have recently changed valve cover gasket, spark plugs and pcv valve. It looks to be coming from the crankcase ventilation. What can I do? What might the problems be? Didn't have this problem till I changed the pcv valve, it looks clean.

put the old pcv and see if it goes away. if it does, then the new pcv is bad.

Comment

I replaced it cause it broke when trying to reinstall. The new seems to be working, the catch valve is moving

Comment

Is it coming up through the pcv hose or through the hose that lets the air into the valve cover?
        The typical cause and solution is excess blow by from poor rings and installing a catch can.
        How did the baffles in the valve cover look when you replaced the gasket? Did they need to be cleaned?
        Do you still have the old pcv valve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-13-2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

It's coming from the tube on top of valve cover not the PCV. I cleaned everything thoroughly when I installed gasket. The other PCV broke, thats why I replaced it. I heard seafoam might work. If a rebuild is required, has anyone done one and how much might it cost, a good rebuild is possibly beneficial depending on cost, car has 250k miles on it

Comment

Try this, take to cover off and the plate that cover the baffles. Clean everything really good and fill the baffles space with thick wire-mesh( don't know how is it called in English) , like this one: http://www.inbrisa.com/contraste-pre...alambrina.html
            Its like a mini-catch can but inside the valve cover. it may reduce the problem a little... but if you want to know exactly what it is, do a compression and a leak tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffs89festiva View Post
              It's coming from the tube on top of valve cover not the PCV. I cleaned everything thoroughly when I installed gasket. The other PCV broke, thats why I replaced it. I heard seafoam might work. If a rebuild is required, has anyone done one and how much might it cost, a good rebuild is possibly beneficial depending on cost, car has 250k miles on it
              I believe whats happening is that your getting so much blow by under higher throttle (when there is little or no vaccum in the manifold) that the blow by is blowing oil up that hose. It is happening on my car as well and i purchased a catch can for it but have not installed it yet. You are most likely getting oil up the pcv hose as well but it is not as noticable because it goes into the intake manifold.
              A rebuild can be cheap or expensive depending on part quality and how much you want to do. It takes a lot of time either way. You should do some research on it first to figure out what you would all want to do. Many rebuilds fail because the parts in the kit are out of tolerance. You would need to find all their specs and measure every part when it arrives and be prepared to have to send it back and get another. Buying another used B3 that doesn't leak is cheaper but not guaranteed to last. A good catch can is $100. 2 cheap ones are also $100. Thats the route i chose.
              I you do a rebuild consider replacing valve stem seals. Are your hla's ticking? Make sure the kit has the appropriate gaskets as well as the rings and bearings. Some kits i have seen dont come with both crankshaft seals, oil pan seal, trans output shaft seals, cam seals... Also engine assembly lube. Its a good time to replace your clutch if its older...
              Some people would add oil additives but after doing what i believe is a lot of research i concluded they are worthless and cause more issues than they solve on an engine you want to last more than a year or 2.
              Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-13-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. In gonna keep my eye on it. I put seafoam in it last night. Is there any specific amount of oil it should lose, is there any other signs such as blue/white smoke, I haven't seen it do that.

Comment

Working...
                X