Tach Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach Cluster

2 weeks ago I picked up a 1990 Surf Blue Festiva that was a single owner car. The older woman who had bought it new passed away and the car had sat for several years and was not running. To make a long story short the engine is locked so we bought one of the Ford blocks that was mentioned here on the forum last week.

The car has an automatic transmission and also a tach cluster. I can hardly imagine an elderly woman swapping in a tach cluster so.......in 1990 did an automatic come stock with a tach cluster?

Thanks.

I believe they did. My 90 L Plus auto came with one
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

According to the standard and optional equipment list, 90 LX and L plus had tachs.
      "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
      "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
      "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
      "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
      "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
      "Wenona"-89L parts car
      "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Which cars had the 110 tach cluster? I'd like to replace mine with that. Also, what else is needed to go with it?
          A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
          Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Next question I suppose, is WHY did an automatic transaxle car have a tach?
            Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Lots of the Festivas with manuals had no tach. It's not really trans dependent so much as it's viewed as an upgrade all on its own.

None of my manual trans cars, now that I think of it, had a tach from the factory. I have always had to swap clusters to get one.
              Last edited by sketchman; 07-03-2016, 05:07 PM.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
                Next question I suppose, is WHY did an automatic transaxle car have a tach?
                So you can grit your teeth when you see how high it's revving at highway speed. Mine tachs at 55 what will give 70 in a 5 spd. But having the "lights on" warning is worth having the tach, to me. I don't think the tach was even an option after 91, maybe 90.
                Last edited by jawja jim; 07-03-2016, 07:39 PM.
                "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                "Wenona"-89L parts car
                "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

I put a tach in my auto for that reason. I wanted to know how fast I could run, or at least how fast I wanted to with the rpm's.

Comment

I think that digital aftermarket tachs would be simpler and easier to add than to go on an easter egg hunt for a cluster in a yard somewhere, plus they look a lot nicer in my opinion.

They are also available in a lot of different styles:

Shucks - here's a nice 2 inch one for twenty bucks:

So they're not very expensive either, unless you wanna go whole hog!
                    Last edited by Greywolf; 07-05-2016, 05:23 PM.
                    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Working...
                    X