No announcement yet.

Retractable sliding bushings...how to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retractable sliding bushings...how to.

Yesterday I went to mount the new AC compressor on Nellie but the ears would not go into the mount
    bracket on the left side. I tried to hammer it over but was just scaring up the bushing.
    So last night while lying in bed thinking about it, I came up with idea that worked perfectly
    when I tried it a little while ago. The pictures shows how I did it using a bracket I had on the shelf.
    You just need a nut that is larger than the bushing on the outside, a bolt with nut and some washers.

I'm sure someone has already thought of this but maybe others haven't:
    [IMG] [/IMG]
    Last edited by 1990new; 06-14-2016, 04:25 PM.

Good job I've used a c clamp and socket!

Comment

The alternator has a similar bushing, I've used a c-clamp/socket or an arbor press before. Just depends on the tools available!
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

C clamp and socket... now why didn't I think of that?
        That's the great thing about having forums like this with lots of resourceful people who discover ingenious ways to get things done.
        And that got me to thinking... Wouldn't it be great to have a new Forum topic called something line maybe "Tricks Of The Trade"
        where we could post things like this. What do you think members and moderators?

It would be a great place to post how to do things that are kind of universal and don't fit in one of the boxes we have now. The post could be about anything related to tools (or the lack there of) for doing thing and other tricks and tips about quick, safe and easy ways to get things done.

For example the Garage forum rules state:
        Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)
        Then those how to's that are general in nature would have a place of their own.
        Maybe a good idea...maybe not?

I'll bet this idea gets a lot of you thinking of the was you got things done that other people would like to know about.
        Last edited by 1990new; 06-14-2016, 08:44 PM.

Comment

I like that idea of a "tricks" category. There's probably a bunch of that shortcut knowledge floating around among the members here.
          "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
          "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
          "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
          "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
          "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
          "Wenona"-89L parts car
          "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Working...
          X