Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Festy is Oveheating & She Has trouble Starting Sometimes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Festy is Oveheating & She Has trouble Starting Sometimes..

two issues....

A few weeks ago i was on my way to work when my '89 Festiva's thermometer started redlining followed by a cloud of white smoke. upon further investigation i discovered a shredded alternator belt as well as a hole the size of Texas in the hose that runs from my Radiator to my engine. Replaced both of these, and added more coolant and 'ol Bessy was fine.

fast forward about a week and a half, and i notice that occasionally my Temp will slowly begin to rise, especially if i stop at red lights a lot. And finally last week it crossed over the "safe zone" and began to red line. This was followed by a tiny cloud of white smoke, but i couldnt see any immediate problem.

So after asking a few friends who know more about a cars innards than i do, i was told it could be any of the following:

- A non functioning Thermostat
    - a non functioning waterpump
    - or a leak in the radiator somewhere.

How can i go about isolating where the issue is coming from?

---------- Also ----------------------------------------------

My Festy is slow to start up sometimes. Had the Alternator, Battery, and Starter checked and they read fine. As i start it, it turns over for a bit, and finally will start up after some time. Ive replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires. I was told it could either be the Distributer Cap or the Fuel filter/ Fuel Pump. Starts up like a normal car if it sits for a couple days, which is odd.

What say you?

Or it could be a bad fan, or when you cooked it the first time, the head gasket was damaged.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You probably cooked it too much. However there is a possibility you did not get all the air out of the system when you added new coolant. What steps did you take to bleed the air out when you replace the hose and refilled it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

fan is working. Had a mechanic freind look at it and he said it wasnt the head gasket.

But it wouldnt hurt to get a second opinion.
        Last edited by BrannMuffinz; 06-17-2016, 08:21 AM.

Comment

My dad added the coolant so im not sure.I admittedly was at the store buying the belt while he was doing that.

Comment

Thermostats are only a couple of dollars and aren't that hard to change, wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change it. Water Pumps are about $30-$50 on Rockauto if I remember correctly but I'm not sure of the difficulty of changing them.
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by BrannMuffinz View Post
              My dad added the coolant so im not sure.I admittedly was at the store buying the belt while he was doing that.
              Well ask him if he jacked the front drivers side up a ways and ran it until the thermostat opened. If not there is most likely air pockets in the head somewhere.
              Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
              Thermostats are only a couple of dollars and aren't that hard to change, wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change it. Water Pumps are about $30-$50 on Rockauto if I remember correctly but I'm not sure of the difficulty of changing them.
              Changing the pump requires timing belt removal. Not hard, but it depends on your skill level and if theres nothing wrong with it theres no reason to change out a good part. Thermostats are cheap, but again, if it still works why change it? I had a lot o trouble a few years back changing mine. First stant one was way too cold, second one wouldnt open, 3rd one (in 2days) ran pretty hot but at least it opened and i was sick of changing them and bleeding coolant so i left it in. Now only a couple years later its acting real weird. Hot one day and cold another... Going to replace it with a mazda one now.

You overheated because you somehow blew a hose and your belt which drives the water pump at the same time right? Did you inspect your other hoses? How are they? It would be good to change any ones that look weak.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                Well ask him if he jacked the front drivers side up a ways and ran it until the thermostat opened. If not there is most likely air pockets in the head somewhere.

Changing the pump requires timing belt removal. Not hard, but it depends on your skill level and if theres nothing wrong with it theres no reason to change out a good part. Thermostats are cheap, but again, if it still works why change it? I had a lot o trouble a few years back changing mine. First stant one was way too cold, second one wouldnt open, 3rd one (in 2days) ran pretty hot but at least it opened and i was sick of changing them and bleeding coolant so i left it in. Now only a couple years later its acting real weird. Hot one day and cold another... Going to replace it with a mazda one now.

You overheated because you somehow blew a hose and your belt which drives the water pump at the same time right? Did you inspect your other hoses? How are they? It would be good to change any ones that look weak.
                I know he didnt do all of that. Im assuming he just poured in the new stuff.

We looked around and didnt see anything that was too sketchy. so we just left it. It was running fine for the week and a half after the belt and hose blew. So im not sure.

Comment

Check the radiator, when cool, to see if it is actually full now. The coolant may not have been topped off or there could be coolant leaking.
                  When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Not likely it's the water pump. I'd jack up the passenger side (or park with that side uphill) and with the engine cold, remove the rad cap. Turn on the motor, let the bubbles escape, put the cap back on as coolant rises to the point where it's gonna overflow. It can help if you squeeze the upper rad hose a few times while you have the cap off. Oh, also have the heater's temp selector switch turned to hot, to make sure coolant gets thru there too, to flush out any bubbles.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
                      Check the radiator, when cool, to see if it is actually full now. The coolant may not have been topped off or there could be coolant leaking.
                      just checked it. It looks like its empty.
                      Last edited by BrannMuffinz; 06-17-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrannMuffinz View Post
                        just checked it. It looks like its empty.
                        Have you checked the oil to see if there is any water in it?
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                          Have you checked the oil to see if there is any water in it?
                          yes oil looks like oil should.

it is admittedly a bit dark, but nothing too concerning. No "milky" or "frothy" variants

Comment

Top off the fluid and overflow bottle. Drive normally for a few days. Watching the fluid level in the over flow bottle. Then check for bubbles in the radiator. I'm betting warped head and bad head gasket.

Comment

Working...
                            X