Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic Transmission Motor Changed to Manual?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Transmission Motor Changed to Manual?...

I had 3 Festivas and now I 'only' have 2. Around a week ago mine burned up in a fire.

Two weeks before the fire I bought a fuel injected early 1990 Festiva LX. The engine doesn't turn over in it so I picked up another engine for it from another 1990 Festiva but the difference is that I bought the engine with an automatic transmission attached to it. The Festiva that I'm putting that motor into is a manual 5 speed. I don't need the automatic transmission right now.

My first intentions were to simply remove the automatic transmission from the motor that I just bought and put it into the 5 speed manual car that has a 5 speed transmission. But once I got to looking at it I noticed that the starter in the automatic attaches to the motor from the opposite side than it does in a manual transmission car.

Will this be an easy remove and replace for me? I thought all Festiva motors were the same and just the transmissions were different. Are there some special parts that Ill need?

By the way, if you haven't seen it already - here's a video of the fire: Festiva on Fire
    Last edited by ajbremer; 06-19-2016, 07:27 PM.

The starter mounts to the transmission. You'll need to do nothing to the engine other than swap the flex plate for the the flywheel. The mounts and cross member are also transmission specific.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

When you say, 'The mounts and cross member are also transmission specific.' you mean that the automatic uses different mounts and cross member than the manual?

Comment

Correct.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Oh, thank you Festyboy. That's good because all I have is the motor attached to the automatic transmission. The Festiva I'm putting it into already has the 5 speed manual so I'll just remove the automatic from the motor and put it into the manual car. I got the motor and automatic transmission for $150 and it came out of a one owner car that had around 150,000 miles on it. It was in a front end collision but the accident didn't hurt the motor.

I'm wondering, the motor has the intake manifold with all the injectors and stuff attached to it but the car I'm putting it into has a better looking one. I probably should use the one that's with the car right? Seems like it'd be a hassle to undo all those hoses plus it looks weathered...like it has been out in the weather without a hood over it, possibly for years, I don't know.
          Last edited by ajbremer; 06-20-2016, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X