Removing Half Axles, can't!....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Half Axles, can't!....

I've pulled probably 6 or so half axles over the years on my many Festivas and I always seem to have a hard time getting them out. Many say just pop it out with a few pulls and if it don't come pry it out while tapping...it just seems to take forever for me and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. By the way, I've always only pulled half axles out from manual transmissions. I'm probably just not using the proper pry bar configuration or maybe I'm not tapping at the right spot.

Here I am again, stuck trying to get my half axles out. I've pulled, tried to pop, pryed and banged at the same time. Is there an easier way this or do I just keep fighting this until it somehow pops out?

I never pull, tends to tear out the tri-pot. I use a 15" pry bar and wedge it in, then apply some pressure and then smack the handle with a mini sledge at a right angle. Usually pops in one or two tries.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The service manual says not to suddenly yank it out but pry it out gradually (I've done it both ways in the past myself though).

When you put it back, it also says to apply grease to the end and put on a new circlip (which usually come with a new or rebuilt axle).
      I've always used the old circlip when I am just pulling and replacing the same one.
      I also read that you should position the circlip so that the gap is at the 12 o'clock position when you insert the halfshaft into the differential (not sure why that is).
      I have has some that were difficult to remove but eventually did get them out on the Festivas by prying.
      I had a difficult time getting the left one in on Rosie (automatic) so I hope it comes out easier than it went in when I go to replace the transmission later this week.
      Last edited by 1990new; 06-22-2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking that this is the best pry bar to use for the Festiva half-axles?
        prybar.jpg

Comment

Have used that in a pinch, but always have a large hammer near by.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I had a heck of a time the last time I had to pull one. It involved a welder and a slide hammer to finally get it out.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
              I had a heck of a time the last time I had to pull one. It involved a welder and a slide hammer to finally get it out.
              Ya, last time for me was at someone elses house. After several hours trying yanking, hammers, prybars and destroying the shaft completely with a large slide hammer we resorted to an air hammer/chisel at the same time as the slide hammer. I only did one side and it was 1am before i left his house...
              Have to do it again next week, im a bit nervous, lol.

Comment

Clip gets in the way. One nearly falls out other is a battle.

The battle shafts, the clip had spline grooves cut in it because it gets caught.

Yet some applications nothing holds them in. This Chrysler they just poke in and that's it. No clip.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Comment

Can anyone help me with a full process of a transmission removal and reinstallation? I'm not a car guy at all but my daily driver needs a new transmission and I don't know what I'm doing at all..

Sent from my E6782L using Tapatalk

Comment

Its a manual too I forgot to mention

Comment

Originally posted by Emmett41 View Post
                      Can anyone help me with a full process of a transmission removal and reinstallation? I'm not a car guy at all but my daily driver needs a new transmission and I don't know what I'm doing at all..

Best bet is a haynes manual for under $20. But there is also a thread on here specifically with the step by step stuff. I cant remember where it is but do a search or look in the driveline section of the forum, i think its a stickie

Comment

Here is Nonamekid's write up.
                        "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                        "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                        "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                        "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                        "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                        "Wenona"-89L parts car
                        "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Emmet, whatever you do, don't pull out both axles without having something to support the gear in the transmission. The gear will fall, and you will have to disassemble the transmission to put it back again.

Comment

Emmett: Suggest adding your location to your profile.
                            Last edited by WmWatt; 07-04-2016, 08:43 PM.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Where do I go to add my location lol I can't find it and thank you for the advice bravekozak

Comment

Working...
                              X