starts then dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starts then dies

Hey out there, I am brand new to the forum. I have a 91 festy that is starting and then dies after about 1 to 6 seconds. varies. Not sure whats going on. Here is a list of what I have checked so far. fuel pump is working but unsure of psi. Checked multiple grnd wires. replaced fuel filter. Checked air filter. Checked fusible links. Any more ideas. Not sure how to check fuel psi

Check the connection at the VAF meter in the air intake.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Like mentioned above, Check the Air Flow Meter connection. If everything is good there then I would check the Vacuum lines going from the Throttle body to the Purge Solenoid and around any of them attached to the Intake Manifold and check the hoses that run to the Valve cover and check to make sure all of your connections are good between the Air Flow Meter and Throttle Body
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I'm guessing its all in the stock box right? i know i had an issue when i swapped my festiva because i didn't connect the breather pipe off the intake for idleing.

Car #789
        Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
        1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
        1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
        http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

If none of those things fixes it another possibility is a dead Ignition Control Module. Not easy to diagnose. Can be taken to some parts stores for free test. People often test by putting in good distributor off another car to see if that fixes problem.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

The ICM on FI cars sits on the driver strut tower...
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
            X