Throttle Body/Intake Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Body/Intake Manifold

So I did some work on my brothers car the other day and took the throttle body off for cleaning, the gasket was stuck on the Intake manifold side and wasn't coming off so I grabbed a Heavy Duty Scuff wheel which worked great but I may have taken a little bit of aluminum material with it because now I have a leak even with a brand new Felpro Gasket. The amount of material I took off was minor but I may have made it uneven... So the question is, Take it apart and try to even out the surface or just double up on the gasket and see if that works?
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

RTV and no gasket.

For aluminum I never use a brush or scuff thing. Take the whole thing and work it on top of a big piece of sandpaper that is on top of a true surface. A concrete block is cheap and works fine. Then you know you end up with an even surface.

For the big pieces only a razor blade CAREFULLY to get it to a point where I can sand it.
    Last edited by sketchman; 06-29-2016, 07:22 PM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I don't really want want to take the upper intake off so maybe I will make a oversize sanding block and try it that way.
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

Me personally - I'm a big fan of gasket dissolver spray, and a one inch Stanley wood chisel as a scraper that I NEVER EVER use for anything else...
        (It beats even a dedicated SNAPON gasket scraper)

Blue silicon and a single gasket ought to do the job, now that the damage is done if any. I don't think silicone sealer alone, but silicone on a gasket will make the gasket easy to remove later and the same gasket can be used over and over again.
        Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Grey: I've read silicone should not be used on cars with O2 sensors. Not true?
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

They do make "O2 Sensor Safe" silicone. I would go with that.
            A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
            Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

So I finally had time to take the throttle body off last night and realized that I actually put the gasket on wrong... it was turned 90 degrees to the right so basically the curvy part was at the bottom... ooops, I guess that might be a sign to not Drink and Mechanic lol.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                Grey: I've read silicone should not be used on cars with O2 sensors. Not true?
                Shouldn't matter on the intake side, only the exhaust. On the intake side there is no way for silicon outgassing to interfere with O2 sensor readings.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                X