B6T swap has developed a random no-start issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6T swap has developed a random no-start issue

I searched the forums but didn't happen across anyone that seemed to be having quite the same problem as I'm having. I have a '91 GL with a swap from a '91 XR2 that had about 133K at the time. I did the swap myself a year ago and up until the past month or two it has run great. However, about a month ago I came out of a store and when I tried to start my car it would only crank over. I tried three times and let it sit for a minute or two and tried again, at which point it started right up as normal. That was the first time it had ever done that so I didn't think much of it. It was probably a few weeks later that it did it again. Just as before, I let it sit for a few minutes and it started up again.
    The next time however, I was in the grocery store parking lot for half an hour trying to get it to start, which it didn't. I left the car overnight and the next morning came out and it still would do nothing but crank over. I could hear my fuel pump relay clicking and the pump itself running. I pulled the #1 spark plug (which didn't look flooded) and since I was by myself, I grounded it on the intake tube where I could see it from inside while I cranked the engine, to see if it was getting spark. When I did that the car fired right up as normal...on three cylinders. I shut it off, replaced the plug and wire, started it up and it ran fine. It did this exact thing another time not too long afterwards. Last week I was in a parking lot and it happened again. I was probably out there for 10 minutes combing over my engine bay. I checked to see if my wire connections were all snug and I pulled the coil wire, made sure it was clean and dry, expanded the tangs on it and installed it securely back into place and it started up. I proceeded to drive a few minutes down the road, shut it off for about 5 minutes, came out and it wouldn't start. I tried the exact same thing that I had done only 15 minutes earlier and it didn't work but after waiting 5-10 minutes, I cranked it and it started.
    After the most recent occurrence (which fortunately transpired in the driveway), I checked to see if I was getting fuel to the rail, which it was. Then, I had someone crank it over and discovered it wasn't getting spark. I grounded the coil wire and the coil wasn't firing. Up until this point I had replaced all 4 plugs and gapped them. I also replaced the cap and rotor. After discovering that the coil wasn't firing, I bought a used one from the junkyard, along with a knock box from a low mileage XR2. When I installed the coil it still didn't start. When I installed the knock box the car started, though not instantly. I shut it off and restarted it several times and it seemed fine. Just to test it though, I reinstalled the old parts and sure enough it started fine.
    I hope I've described this in enough detail. One thing I'll mention is that even though it randomly won't start, it has never cut off on me while idling or driving. As of this morning, I've been driving it a little for the past 2 days and so far it has been fine.

Inspect the inside of the distributor (under the dust cap) for oil contamination. If you see any, hose down with non chlorinated brake clean and let dry.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Any codes?
      - Form should follow function...

Comment

I would have guessed the knock box !
        But since you have tried that I'm going with corrosion in the ECM . I had one many swaps ago with corrosion all in the ECM . Remove the screws and look around really good .
        New build on the way .

Comment

Bad wires anywhere in the ignition circuit, or the knock box circuit
          Bad ground leads, they get old and corroded and can simply look like they are still good
          Bad knock box
          another bad coil
          bad coil to distributor lead
          maybe corrosion in the ECM as shadetree suggests.
          Heat seems to be an issue, as it happens after it runs, so cold solder joint in the ecu, failing transistor in there, corroded contact that shifts

I would have said bad distributor, but if your coil is not firing that is not likely it.
          Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
          Icetiva-3-race-car-build
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

If you still have the green 4 pin plug in your car from the capri (it lives behind the air box and connects the main relay) unplug it and clean the connections. We had a similar problem on our race car and it was that plug.
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-06-2016, 01:36 PM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

If the coil isn't firing, it CAN be a bad dizzy. The pickup coil in the dizzy controls the ICM, if the pickup is going bad or is shrouded in oil, it won't command the ICM to lift the ground on the coil.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the replies, you have given me a lot to look in to! I'll see what I can find.

Comment

There was a little oil in my distributor so I cleaned that out. Cleaned some electrical connections as well though I haven't checked out the ECU yet. So far, these past few days it has had no problem. I will probably be posting this car for sale soon so I need to make sure it is reliable. Thanks again for the tips fellows.

Comment

It sounds like a loose or corroded plug/wire in the ignition circuit. Make sure all the spade terminals in the plugs fit snugly. Clean them really good and use a little dielectric grease on them.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Yes, I'll have to go through it. So far though, it has been running perfect. My green connector was a little bit corroded but not too badly. My coil connector looked good as well. I'll check other connectors out when I get the chance.

Comment

Working...
                      X