Replacing Lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Lifters

I've replaced lifters before on 60's, 70's cars and loved working on them. I ordered new lifters for my 93 and when I got them I was totally surprised. I couldn't believe how small they are. They are just a little bit bigger than a pencil eraser. I was astonished. So now I just have to replace them. So basically, I just have to remove valve cover, unbolt the tappet bar and just pull the lifters out. I read somewhere that I should soak them in oil night before, is that correct. Is there a video out there showing the procedure or am I pretty close as to replacing them. TY for any assistance.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

HLAs do need to be soaked overnight. They have an orriface on the side for oil to enter (they might have two, each opposite the other). Set them in a bucket of fresh oil with the orriface facing up so that air can bleed out and oil in. Also, I would suggest changing the oil and adding zinc-additive just before you instal the new lifters to help them break in nicely. Not a major requirement, just a precaution. I take preventive measures whenever possible. Other than that, remove old gasket material, apply new gaskets, and torque specs.
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Right, soak 'em in oil so they are pre-filled. Squeeze them a few times when still in the oil, to help get oil in there. That will prevent or cut down on lifter clatter during initial startup after replacement.

--How to pull the rocker arms is in the Haynes manual, Chapter 2A, section 9. Start with step 6, after removing the valve cover. Note pic showing loosening and tightening sequence.
      --Pull one whole side off as a unit, to avoid confusion in reassembly. Leave everything intact and just flip over the rocker arm to access the lifter. Helps to mark one as the intake side and the other as exhaust, so you don't mix them up. Or just pay attention to what you are doing (revolutionary concept!).
      --When reinstalling, torque the rocker arm bolts to 16 - 21 ft-lbs, in three steps such as 8 ft-lbs, 12 ft-lbs, then final torque. Make sure to check repeatedly (when initially finger-tightening) that the hard black plastic spacers are not stuck under the bolt caps you are tightening down. They tend to move on you. They will break if compressed. (Ask me how I know.)
      Last edited by TominMO; 07-24-2016, 04:39 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
      X