FESTIVA RADIATOR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FESTIVA RADIATOR.

When your stock Festiva is stone cold and you open your radiator cap and look inside, what do you see? Really.

Hazy green... Why? What are you seeing?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I only see the dry top of the rad core. I add a couple of cups of water and then I see coolant. Always been this way. Runs plenty cool. Overflow tank looks normal.

Comment

I suspect the pressure cap isn't working properly then or you have a pressure leak. I recommend you have both tested beforeit becomes an issue.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
          I only see the dry top of the rad core. I add a couple of cups of water and then I see coolant. Always been this way. Runs plenty cool. Overflow tank looks normal.
          Mines been that way since it was new. Rarely had coolant showing over a 1/8-1/4" in the bottom of the radiator.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I have replaced everything on my cooling system over the years. Heater core, rad, all hoses, several thermostats, water pump, 3 or 4 caps.. And mine has always stayed just a little over the fins in the rad. Never below, always stays the same level. but whenever i fill it up it just ends up in the overflow. Always bled properly. Yours sounds pretty low though. If you add water every time you drive does your overflow bottle over fill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Actually, I just put in a new radiatior. The 1992 original finally sprung a leak. The original acted this way and so does the new one. New one cost $140 at Advance Auto, one day delivery to store. Learned a lot about modern antifreezes along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by denguy View Post
                Actually, I just put in a new radiatior. The 1992 original finally sprung a leak. The original acted this way and so does the new one. New one cost $140 at Advance Auto, one day delivery to store. Learned a lot about modern antifreezes along the way.
                Did you try a different coolant?

Comment

I learned that you can't mix modern antifreeze types, stick with one kind [color]. Mixing said to form sludge that plugs rad, ruins water pump. If you know better, chime in.

Comment

Good! Definatly dont mix, and theres nothing wrong with the green stuff as long as you change it on time. I have a 2002 civic and when i bought it the coolant was black and a bit thick. Did a bunch of looking up coolant types then. It came with blue honda coolant and the po mixed green as well as orange dexcool in it. I got second degree chemical burns on my arm when i drained it. Hurt so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X