Steering Rack Replacement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack Replacement...

Are there any good threads here which describe how to remove and replace the Festiva Steering rack?

Originally posted by ajbremer View Post
    Are there any good threads here which describe how to remove and replace the Festiva Steering rack?
    I could walk you through it if you want. I'm currently doing it. Are you replacing with a festiva rack? Or a Rio rack?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

4 bolts, then pop off your tie rods out the knuckle. take it out.
      Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

And the bolt on the u joint

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^^^^That's close but you will need to take it loose from the steering shaft and when you replace the steering rack re connecting to the steering shaft will be the most difficult or maybe I should say it will test your patients. Good luck. oh and make sure your steering wheel is in the proper position, ya mine was a quarter turn off, not really a big deal, take the steering wheel loose and re position it, just a little extra work.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I undid the 4 bolts holding the rack to the firewall, I removed the tie-rod ball joints, I cut a slit into the rubber boot to get at the steering nut, removed the nut. Then I lifted the whole thing, inner tie rods connected, up and out from between the motor and the firewall.

Comment

Wow, on my carburetted Festiva you'd have to remove dozens of hoses and things to lift the steering rig up and out between the motor and firewall. Did you drop one end and pull it up from the other?
              Last edited by WmWatt; 08-14-2016, 07:19 AM.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by WmWatt View Post
                Wow, on my carburetted Festiva you'd have to remove dozens of hoses and things to lift the steering rig up and out between the motor and firewall. Did you drop one end and pull it up from the other?
                You're going to have the wheels off anyway, just drop it down and pull it out one side or the other.
                Last edited by TominMO; 08-14-2016, 08:13 AM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You had both cars for sale, which car are you working on or planning to keep.
                  An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Here's a little how to on my build thread page 7
                    Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

Comment

Thanks for your Steering rack (Steering Gear in Shop Manual) removal information through that link william. That's pretty much how I did it except I didn't get inside the car to remove the red bolt, I removed the bolt that was holding the steering rack spline within that rubber boot against the firewall.

Comment

Working...
                      X