Wiring issues. Brake lights/turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring issues. Brake lights/turn signals

So I just purchased this festy from someone on Craigslist. It's a 91.
    In the pictures they spliced some wires and maybe unplugged some things in order to get the power for the speakers.

The turn signals and brake lights do not work. No click from the turn signals either. My hazards work for the bottom front two yellow lights and back yellows. The corner marker lights do not(not sure if they are supposed to work with hazards)

Checked the fuse box. Everything looks fine. No blown fuses. However, the right half of the fuse box seems to be missing power...tested the connection points with a volt meter. Everything else looks good.

Underneath the dash on the left there was a plug that was disconnected. It looked like it was coming from the little black box with the words "buzzer" written on it in white. There is an orange or red wire that was cut as well.
    Anyone know what to do to fix it? Lol
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pzl8domin8; 08-23-2016, 04:02 PM.
    Stalin/5 spd/L/1993/Sold
    unnamed/5 spd/L-Plus/1991/Current
    htd

Here's a couple of links for you.
    Check them out for any mistakes and then delete them.
    Good luck.

electrical schematic
    1991 Manual

Comment

I think I narrowed it down to this relay box.. When I plug in the connector plug, it doesn't work. Is this related to the blinkers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Stalin/5 spd/L/1993/Sold
      unnamed/5 spd/L-Plus/1991/Current
      htd

Comment

No that's for the annoying door buzzer. Its the first thing I do when I get a festiva.

Comment

I also have a '91. The corner markers don't flash with the hazard or turn signals - only the center pair and the same on the back. I had one corner marker out, and found a lot of corrosion in the bulb socket - you should hunt for power in the sockets first, and then check backwards toward the switch and fuse panel.

* make sure your fuse panel is all the way up, and has fresh fuses first.

I'd say the first move IS the fuse panel, without power there individual circuits will be dead. Go first to the fusible links on the rear of the left fender liner and make sure they're all good. There's also a main power relay that needs to be verified.

I have yet to see any used car that hasn't been wire butchered, and I tend to go from the battery outward. My basic theory is that NO PART of a used car can be trusted until I have checked it MYSELF.

I see the blue and green wires with stripes at the corner marker openings. They look diked - and will need to be restored or capped with terminations.

I wonder why it is that every dork and clod installing their first radio goes after the exterior lighting for power? There's a complete wiring set for radios and amps right behind the ashtray.
          Last edited by Greywolf; 08-24-2016, 07:13 PM.
          Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Here is an answer for two of the not connected wires shown in your picture.
            The White/Red and the Blue wires that are not connected behind the panel on the passenger side of the cargo area are for the cargo light which was not installed in most US Festivas.
            The White/Red supplies power to the light and is hot at all times. It's source is the "room" fuse on the fuse panel.
            (White/red wires from the room fuse also go to the ECA, the Radio, the dome light, and the ATX shift lock servo.)
            The blue wire is the ground wire for the cargo light. In the wiring harness is goes across the back of the cargo area then up the left side to the ceiling where it goes through the little rubber tube that goes from the ceiling to the hatch on the left side and then ends in no connection and is taped to inside of the hatch. If a hatch light was install your hatch latch would have a blue wire to connect that would be connected to supply a ground when the hatch latch was released to open the hatch...but without the light installed the latch is the type that does not have this wire.
            There are also other wires in the Festiva wiring harness that are not connected because that optional powered feature is not installed.
            Last edited by 1990new; 08-24-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Here is an answer for two of the not connected wires shown in your picture.
              The White/Red and the Blue wires that are not connected behind the panel on the passenger side of the cargo area are for the cargo light which was not installed in most US Festivas.
              The White/Red supplies power to the light and is hot at all times. It's source is the "room" fuse on the fuse panel.
              (White/red wires from the room fuse also go to the ECA, the Radio, the dome light, and the ATX shift lock servo.)
              The blue wire is the ground wire for the cargo light. In the wiring harness is goes across the back of the cargo are then up the left side to the ceiling where it goes through the little rubber tube that goes from the ceiling to the hatch on the left side and then ends in no connection and is taped to the hatch. If a hatch light was install your hatch latch would have a blue wire to connect that would be connected to supply a ground when the hatch latch was released to open the hatch...but without the light installed the latch is the type that does not have this wire.
              There are also other wires in the Festiva wiring harness that are not connected because that optional powered feature is not installed.

Comment

Working...
              X