1989 festiva turns over but won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 festiva turns over but won't start

I have an 98 festiva that dosnt wanna start. One day it just died on me while driving. I thought I had it
    Figured out when I replaced the 3 relays under my dash but it just died again 2 days later. Other than
    That this has been an awesome car. I know it's a simple fix, I just can't figure it out.

When I dies dose it have spark?
    Fuel? Is your car carbed or an efi?

Comment

You need spark, fuel, compression and timing. Pull a plug wire, insert a screw driver and hold it 1/4" from a ground. While cranking, look for a blue spark. Spray a small shot of starter fluid into the intake and crank engine over. Report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
      “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Don't hold the metal end of screwdriver. [emoji4]

Comment

I've been checking everything all morning. I have spark
          But the fuel pump isn't kicking on. The fuel pump relay is clicking too.
          It's an efi.

Comment

Don't hold the metal end of screwdriver.

LOL I have seen the results of this kind of test, always brings a laugh and a smile.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nkerguelean View Post
              I've been checking everything all morning. I have spark
              But the fuel pump isn't kicking on. The fuel pump relay is clicking too.
              It's an efi.
              Sounds like you have narrowed the problem down.
              If you haven't done it yet.. the next thing you need to do is jumper the Fuel Pump Test Connector.
              There are several wires just under you windshield wiper motor that are not connected to anything.
              The FPTC is the one with a black plastic T connector. One of the wires is Green/Red and the other is Black.
              If you have your switch on and you jumper this you should hear the fuel pump motor start.
              If the pump does not run, you either have a bad connection at the fuel pump, a wire break in between, or your fuel pump is bad.

You can use a bent paper clip if you don't have a piece of insulated wire lying around.

There are two circuits which control the fuel pump relay. One in start mode and the other in
              run mode. Power is supplied from the ignition while you are starting the car. Once the car
              is started, the PCM must receive a signal from the VAF that air is moving through it in order for
              the relay remain switched to keep the fuel pump running.
              Last edited by 1990new; 08-27-2016, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Where in the great state of Iowa do you live. Pm sent.
                An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I put a peice of wire in that black t connector and now my fuel pump
                  Will turn on when I turn the key. It still won't start tho

Comment

Pull the distributor cap and crank the engine over. Is the rotor button turning?

Comment

I know you said you had spark....but pull the distributor cap and crank the engine over. Is the rotor button turning? What does the cap and button look like? Did you spray some starter fluid in the intake?

Comment

Originally posted by Nkerguelean View Post
                        I put a peice of wire in that black t connector and now my fuel pump
                        Will turn on when I turn the key. It still won't start tho
                        OK remove the jumper wire. It still could be fuel starvation.
                        The next step would be to remove a plug to see if it is wet.
                        If it is, you have eliminated fuel supply as a problem, unless the fuel is contaminated.

If you have fuel present in the cylinder and you have spark at the plugs, it's either a timing problem or the spark is too weak.
                        You already have some good advice posted about checking for spark/timing problems.

Comment

I got it running. Thanks everyone!

Comment

What was the problem?

Comment

Working...
                            X