Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm perplexed. Can't get speedo cable into transission.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm perplexed. Can't get speedo cable into transission.

I'm on the home stretch of finishing installing my engine I just did a rering job on and I can not get the speedometer cable screw on nut deal to get close enough to thread it on to the transmission. I've done this several times with zero issues. With some other random issues and the heat, I'm getting frustrated. Only thing I can figure is that it pulled out of the speedometer a little. I've tried turning the cable both ways while pushing it hoping it would seat back in the speedo, but that hasn't happened. I really don't want to have to pull the cluster out. Am I missing something simple?

Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

The cable wont push back against the housing? Pull the cable all the way out, check it, lube it and shove it back in. Probly binding near the cluster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. Right after posting this I pulled the cable out and the speedometer end had a couple boogers on it. I lightly filed them and it slid right in. After that, everything fell into place like it was supposed to and I didn't want to lose my stride. The car is running and I'm going to take it for a spin.
      Rick
      1993 Ford Festiva
      1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
      1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
      2000 Ford E350

Comment

I leave the cable on when I pull that up to check the level now. I went through the same thing a few weeks back, until I put the cable end on the gear assembly BEFORE putting it back in very easy now I also removed a cable tie that had it's own metal bracket screwed onto the back of the block of my 96 Aspire. So that took some heat trapping dead weight off.

I just got the assembly OUT of the 91 Festy, so now I can drain the transaxle fluid and put in fresh. It looked full though. The Aspire had a drip leak I didn't know about and it screwed up some syncros with almost no fluid in the transaxle almost back to normal now and more so in cooler temps. NOT going to let that happen with the festy!

Last edited by harpon; 09-09-2016, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X