Wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring question

I have a burned grounding wire......dont ask how, i inherited it this way. I want to replace it, but not sure what i should be buying. I have an 88 carburated engine manual 5 speed. The wire in question is white and has some insulating wire wrapped around it. I assume it is part of the "continuous ground" system of these particular models. Anyone know what gage these wires are and if i can get some at an electrical store or ?? The wire goes from the ECM up to the front right grounding strap with an offshoot to the engine compartment and the coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks

Can you post Picts? That would help.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

from what i can deduce from the wiring diagram for this year, the white wire off the ECA should be the one on the very corner of the connector (position 1M). this is attached straight to the neg side of the coil with a black branch wire going to a body grounding cluster point in front of the engine. this should just be standard stranded auto wire available at any parts store. can you salvage a good piece to figure the gage? guessing 16-18 gage.

Comment

Hi Whighty , from your description it sounds like a signal level wire, with what is commonly called a shielded outer. The point of the grounded wrapper "shield" wire is to protect the signal from being degraded by other signals within the same harness. Most often the shield is braided around the core wire. Something similar to this is what I think you are looking for : http://www.showmecables.com/product/...7G7BoCPD_w_wcB a simple search for shielded single conductor wire will return many suitable results.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys for your responses. This helps me greatly! My only question now is......IS this wire that F3bz refers to(which I believe it is...) a signal level wrapped wire? I dont see any other shielded wires in this cluster. So I am hoping they are one in the same

Comment

Any chance you could email me a copy of that wiring diagram. I can only find the 91 diagrams and they are for EFI engines.

Comment

Hi,
              I am working on replacing the white wire in the 1m position. I was wondering if you could send me a copy of the wiring diagram for the 88 carby as i cannot find one. There is a wrapped shield around what looks like this same wire accept for where it connects into the eca. this shield appears to loop back on itself and does not connect with the white wire into the harness connector. Do I need to find a shield wrapped wire and alter it to loop back on itself? Or can i just wrap the existing shield around the new wire? There is a white much larger white cable coming from the ignition that goes to the neg. coil but im talking about the small 18 or 22 gage wire ( same size as the rest) coming out of the eca.

Comment

Hi,
                I am working on replacing the white wire in the 1m position. I was wondering if you could send me a copy of the wiring diagram for the 88 carby as i cannot find one. There is a wrapped shield around what looks like this same wire accept for where it connects into the eca. this shield appears to loop back on itself and does not connect with the white wire into the harness connector. Do I need to find a shield wrapped wire and alter it to loop back on itself? Or can i just wrap the existing shield around the new wire? There is a white much larger white cable coming from the ignition that goes to the neg. coil but im talking about the small 18 or 22 gage wire ( same size as the rest) coming out of the eca.

Comment

The carb'd engine wiring diagram at the back of the Haynes manual shows 3 wires conected to the -ive coil terminal - a blue wire to the distributor, a yellow/green wire for a tachometer, and a white wire to the computer (ECM). Sorry the diagram does not indicate if the white wire is shielded.
                  Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

wighty, please check this for any mistakes and erase it as soon as you have finished checking for any mistakes.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 12-02-2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much for the help. I have been searching for exactly these answers. I will make sure and let you know how things turn out. Again thanks a million

Comment

Working...
                      X