Battery not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery not charging

OK, sorry but one more issue just surfaced.........ahhhhhhh...... so before the engine swap (not my first one), my car will no longer charge the battery. It runs but when i shut it off the battery will not start the car. Never had this issue before the install. Checks done - battery connection is tight on the back of the alt, both plugs are fully inserted and locked into the alt (choke and whatever the other is), both terminals are properly connected and tight, ground was reattached to the passanger strut tower. What am i missing guys, please help.

Take your battery to an auto parts store to be tested and/or put a multi meter on it while it is running and make sure the alternator is putting out around 14 volts.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

^ this. Start with the basics.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If you have a battery charger you can use it to see if the battery will take a charge.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

that's the thing if I charge the battery, I can start it like normal for a few days and then its done

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
            Take your battery to an auto parts store to be tested and/or put a multi meter on it while it is running and make sure the alternator is putting out around 14 volts.
            ^^ how many volts while running? Is the battery light on on the dash?

Comment

Originally posted by 350freak View Post
              that's the thing if I charge the battery, I can start it like normal for a few days and then its done
              Either the battery is bad or the alternator is going bad. A Multi Meter is about 15 on Amazon and can be a mechanics best friend if you know how to use it.
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

so i checked the battery and with the car off it has 10VDV, car running is 14VDC. Battery is toast right?

Comment

Most likely it has a dead cell. Take it to the parts store and they can test it. If you have and advanced auto near you I have a 30% corporate code you can use online for anything over $50 and you can save up to a total of $50. The code is TRT30
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                    Most likely it has a dead cell. Take it to the parts store and they can test it. If you have and advanced auto near you I have a 30% corporate code you can use online for anything over $50 and you can save up to a total of $50. The code is TRT30
                    ty for that, but i get my batteries from interstate. Ive had nothing but great experiences with them and their batteries.

Comment

10 VDC static is a dead cell like firebush mentioned
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                      X