Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this beverage cooler really go down inside the gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this beverage cooler really go down inside the gas tank?

Got a new fuel pump for the Festiva-

It looks like this rubber styrofoam loop- which looks otherwise like you'd put on your beer to stay cold- goes around the pump which sits down inside the tank?

is that right?

It doesn't dissolve in the gas somehow? And what is the purpose?

And also the round rubber thingy that apparently somehow fits on the bottom of the pump after the mesh filter is attached?

It doesn't seem to have any way to hold itself on.. Won't it just float around in the tank, gradually dissolving rubber?

can anyone illuminate?
    Last edited by harpon; 09-22-2016, 02:29 PM.

Styrofoam and gasoline do not mix well.

Comment

Post a picture
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The big black monolinth on the right- that's cylindrical and fits perfectly around the pump

and the "Colorado symbol" looking other black thing that only fits on the bottom after the mesh filter is in place-

there's a little nylon post on the pump and then a locking grommet that doesn't want to hold that on either, but ther's absolutely no way the rubber Colorado letter will go over that and allow the locking grommet- the nylon post isn't long enough-

so it barely fits on by itself and would surely come off in the tank-

the colarado letter is made of black rubber- the pump wrap is the same material as a beverage cooler- just think it might melt-

so does it have a real function? Seems like the pump would be the same temp in the gas with or without it. I see other listings without one too.
        Last edited by harpon; 09-22-2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

That pump is NOT designed for a Festiva, ant it has the typical universal fit components that mean that it universally fits nothing.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Those are essentially the same parts the Walbro 255 a lot of people use come with. Have you ever had your pump out of the tank? you would see where the rubber cap goes, it gets held in place by a metal bracket on the bottom of the pump. The "foam" is a spacer to help keep the pump centered if the original pump is a smaller dia. I haven't had a need to use the foam ring on Festivas.
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

$10.98 you actually bought that? Do you want to do it again in two months or something?
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

No, never had it out. Haven't actually had the car on the road- just got the top plate off today- been fiddling with another car after the Aspire tranny collapsed. So I'm ready to take all the phillips head screws off and get to the bracket-

Really doesn't look that much different than the one picture in the Haines manual though.

Really hot still here in Florida and I've had to mess with all other kinds of stuff, so it's slow going. If the old pump doesn't work and the new one does, that's what I'll go with.
                Last edited by harpon; 09-22-2016, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                  Those are essentially the same parts the Walbro 255 a lot of people use come with. Have you ever had your pump out of the tank? you would see where the rubber cap goes, it gets held in place by a metal bracket on the bottom of the pump. The "foam" is a spacer to help keep the pump centered if the original pump is a smaller dia. I haven't had a need to use the foam ring on Festivas.
                  I've never had much luck with units like that Nate. And the sock and lower mount isolator don't look right, like one of them is missing a hole for the other to pass through.

Comment

The sock is mounted on the pump, then the isolator goes over it (the sock sticks out through the little "wedge" opening).

I put one of these in yesterday, mounts up basically the same way, almost identical to the Walbro 255s I've worked with as well. Lost of people use them, but there have been reports of cheap/knockoff Walbros on the market that don't last long.

Treadstone intercooler products for sale You know that intercoolers play a critical role in boosting performance and improving the efficiency of your vehicle. It's like an air conditioner for your engine for gosh sakes! Year after year, Treadstone Performance has offered superb quality, affordable, and perfect size int
                    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Gotcha I see it now

Comment

Working...
                      X