Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil question

Hey,

guys what kinda oil do you use in your Festiva's?

I had one when I was 16 years old and sold when I was 17 worst mistake ever.
    Anyways I am 22 now and got another one 2 montsh ago.
    Getting it on the road later this week,

And this one is not the nicest but I did a fast body job and a super tune up.

I got a K&N oil filter online for it.
    Expensive yes but reading on the internet its the best.

But now what kinda oil should I put in it?

it has over 244000kms which is around 152000miles

I have always run conventional 5-30 in mine. First one is now over 300,000 miles, current one only has 130,000 miles. When I sold my first one it still ran perfectly and didn't use any oil. Changed it every 5,000 miles(I did a lot of interstate driving though, about 130 miles/day) and never added any between changes. I also put in one quart of Rislone every change. It's supposed to have more detergents in it to keep your engine cleaner. Not sure if it really helps or not, but I've been using it in all my cars for years and have never had any internal engine problems.

Comment

I always have used Penns 10W30, my last oil change I tried that Quaker State high mileage stuff , the only thing I did not like about it was with the VC leak , the oil on the manifold smelled like a candle that had just been blown out .
      ------------------------------------------------
      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I use castrol 5w-30, i have used it in all my cars never had any problems.

Comment

number1, I also use Castrol 5W30, but most all major brands are good these days. I don't know where you live but I recommend using 5W30, what ever brand, like the owners manual says. Overhead cam engines need a low viscosity oil on start up to ensure the cam gets oil fast. I have seen -34F here. Winter starting has never been a problem with any of the 5 Festivas we've had. On cold mornings my worry is not if it will start but rather, if it will circulate oil soon enough. I'm seeing 0W20 oils recommended by Ford for some of their new trucks. Mike
          90 Festiva L

Comment

I live in NewBrunswick Canada

can get any oil really

so 5W30 is good and really any make

no synthetic?

Castrol 5W30 it is

Comment

I'd do two auto-rx.com treatments and follow that up with a synthetic 5w30 or 0w30.

K&N filters? Highly overpriced.

www.dantheoilman.com
              AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
              Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
              Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

ya I know they are expensivE

just did some reading all around

and theyseem to win alot of test and stuff.

Plus thats what I put in my Mustang

Comment

I didn't say expensive. I said overpriced.

There's a difference.

Supertechs filter almost as well. Wix do a super job for $3 less.

Sadly, oilfilterstudy.com is no longer up. They had micron ratings, flow rates, pore sizes, etc. VERY interesting.

PureOne, Motorcraft, Wix, and Supertech are by far the best for the money.

With a K&N or Mobil1 you won't get twice the filteration or twice the life for twice the money. As a matter of fact, over the previously mentioned brands you won't get a large jump in filteration until you drop the cash on a bypass filteration system.

Sadly, I haven't seen any independent testing done on AMSOIL's new EA oil filters. They're either the best thing to happen to filteration since sliced bread, or very good marketing. I'm switching to them as soon as my stockpile is depleated (very soon).

At any rate, two treatments of www.auto-rx.com will do more for reducing wear than worrying about this or that filter. You can use coupon code ARXDD for a few bucks off.
                  www.dantheoilman.com
                  Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Castrol 10W30. Change it every 5,000 miles.
                    I save the Mobil 1 for my Mustang. :lol:

You might want to see what geezerstiva is using, he has over 330,000 miles on the original engine. Not sure if he's ever rebuilt the engine.
                    ~Jeff
                    1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
                    1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
                    2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

I use royal Purple for my Stang

Mobil one good for the Stiva?

Comment

It's better than what 95% of America uses in their vehicle.

The performance gap between RP/Mobil1/AMSOIL/RL isn't huge. Most people couldn't tell the difference unless on super extended drain intervals or testing their oil.

The key would be to clean your engine thoroughly with two treatments of www.auto-rx.com This will prepare your engine for longer intervals and synthetics. Plus, clean ring packs improve compression, which reduces oil consumption, improves mileage/hp.
                        www.dantheoilman.com
                        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
                        X