Front Hub Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Hub Setup

I am replacing the front rotors and wheel bearings on my 89 Festo. I have the Haynes manual but it doesn't give the wheel bearing preload specs. Does anyone know what they might be?

the preload is not in the manual because the bearings have to be pressed off and on . a good automotive machine shop will have the information.
    91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
    93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
    1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
    1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

It's not in the Haynes manual, but I have an older Chilton manual that does have it. Unfortunately, I believe it's at my parents' house, so I'm not much help tonight. Maybe someone else has it.

An auto shop may have the information, but they will not be able to get hold of the parts(preload spacers) because they haven't been made for a long time.

The job isn't that hard, but can be time consuming. Once you get the new bearings in, you tighten down axle, then check the preload. If it's too tight, you are supposed to put in a thicker spacer. Too loose = thinner spacer. Since you can't get the spacers, you have to either machine down your existing spacer if you don't have enough preload, or make a shim if you have too much preload. When I did mine, I could barely turn the wheel once I got it assembled, so I added a couple shims. It's been quite a while since I did it, but I'd guess that I had to add about .015' - .020".

Comment

Per the Ford Festiva factory manual the rotating torque should be 2.2 - 10.4 LB-IN. The original spacers start at .2474" through .2794" in .0016" increments. It says an increase in thickness of one increment should increase the running torque by 0.2-0.4 lb-in. Hope this helps you.
        1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
        1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
        1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
        1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
        1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
        1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
        1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Working...
        X