idle air valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle air valve

anyone know if the iac can be cleaned or somehow serviced??

Yes, typical failure is in the stepper motor it self (corrosion) and needs resolved.

What exactly is it doing?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

terrible idle when cold,fast idle when warm,and sometimes perfect.

Comment

The fast warm idle is adjusted at the manual air bleed screw on the throttle body (flat tip screw on the driver side of the TB). Turning to the right slows the idle. If the screw is bottomed out and the idle is still high, then there is a leak on the back side of the throttle plate (I.e. vac leak or the IAC is not closed entirely).

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

thanx,took iac off to check it,is there supposed to be a small hose with coolant going thru it??

Comment

Are new motors or other parts available for it? Or is it a generic type that is also used on many other cars that have a similar engine?
            Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Originally posted by grampahawg View Post
              thanx,took iac off to check it,is there supposed to be a small hose with coolant going thru it??
              Yes it's a thermostatically controlled valve attached to the stepper motor. Once the coolant gets warm enough, it causes the valve to close mechanically (much like how a thermostat works)

Comment

thanx,i really appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
                X