cigarette lighter second fuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cigarette lighter second fuse?

Ok, I'm going to skip the story, is there a second fuse other then the small fuse panel by the steering wheel, I herd a pop inside the dash. anyhow my lighter port has no voltage now, so I either blew some in-line fuseable link, or cooked something else in the dash. Thoughts? :shock:

never mind, found it, it was the cigarette lighter itself, it had a little tiny in-line wire fuse right on the back of the lighter socket :roll:

Comment

yep, I blew it twice in my car...
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

is that fuse in the lighter [which i don't use] or the socket ?
        91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
        93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
        1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
        1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

on the back of the socket, just looks like a very, very small heat shrinked wire

Comment

thanks i will do something about that BEFORE it breaks.
            91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
            93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
            1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
            1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

is this the same on the aspire? if so how do ya fix it
              2007 Ford Taurus 23-25MPG
              1976 Chevy Silverado (my toy)
              1951 Ford Deluxe, being rebuilt

Have an old car truck or tractor? Go here.
              http://www.aintperfect.com/

Comment

I'm not sure if its the same on the aspire, but if it is all i did to fix it was the center contact on the socket is really 2 metal disks stacked on top of each other separated by a non conductive fiber disk. What electrically connects the two disks is the lil wire fuse, so when the fuse blows, the center pin in the socket no longer has continuity. SOOOO I removed the fiber disk, and it works fine........no in line fuse now, but the fuse box one is still there 8)

Comment

I LOVE THIS SITE!

I bought one of those 150watt heaters that plugs into the lighter/aux plug, and driving home all warm and such, and then ______________ Nothing! I checked all the fuses and was pretty pissed off when they were all fine, and I wanted to :puke: cause I was all like HAHA......

I am going to check the lighter tomorrow.......Anyone care to share the technique to get the lighter out of the slot it is in? I assume it is easy...... But I am a :sign2:
                  Last edited by Darlo; 11-18-2010, 09:02 PM.

Comment

This is an interesting bit of knowledge! Maybe that's why Twinstiva's lighter socket doesn't work while the regular fuse is fine.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Hey all.....That is exactly what was wrong with the lighter (the little fuse-link thingy inside.....I just bent it so it made contact, and will trust my fuse to do its job.....

THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN :blob7::blob7::blob7:

Comment

Working...
                      X