• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where might my fuel pump relay be?

In my 91 Festiva- Got the pump out- it seems to be working-

so I've got a new relay to try- but I cant find it-

I thought it was in front of the front door, but I can't find it anywhere

I find the blinker relay clicking and another one-yellow that clicks when the key is turned to start, but not when it is keyed on

nothing else looks like the black pump relay I have to put in- I'm disappointed it's not the pump- or I'd just have to put that back in

Where's the relay I wonder?

That relay that clicks when it's in the start position should be the fuel pump relay. Our cars prime when the key is turned all the way and then it's taken over by the flapper in the afm.
    The furl pump relay is yellow on the bottom by the plug and black on top iirc.

Comment

It's on the left inner body panel under the dash (dash removed for clarity).

I removed my relay and replaced it with a revolution. It looks for the tach signal instead of the VAF.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 11-12-2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

"dash removed for clarity"
        Wow that's some dedication to the photographic arts! Taking the dash out to take a pictureof the rela

Ok- well then I must have the wrong new relay- all black and pin layout is different. Caveat Emptor on ebay!

Comment

You'll do better in a junkyard, for some reason these yellow relays go for crazy prices. O'Reillys wanted 90 bucks.
          1991 Beastiva L BP autoX'er

Comment

The reason I think is that, back in the day before the net especially, it would eliminate the car from the road- at least that's a crazy conclusion I can't escape over many such things

Anyway, the pump tested working- I put in a replacement into the bracket assembly I still must reinstall-

the pump tests ON through the two connectors between the harness , now that I found the correct pins to power-

but the harness connector at the other end still just lights my continuity tester at one pin, even after cleaning the below the striker harness ground
            Apparently the gas gauge power- which was still working.

A careful observation of my Aspire - where the fuel pump relay clicks and the pump buzzes at KEY ON and not start- leads me to believe that it probably is the relay which clicks when the key is turned all the way to start.-

if it's not the relay then I'm really getting into sh!t creek territory- the car EXPLODES to life when the pump works-

and you're right - the relays are expensive more thna I paid for the replacement pump- which seems weird RUIDD:
            Last edited by harpon; 11-14-2016, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I had a similar issue and it wasn't the relay, unfortunately I did a lot of things before I realized it was working again. changed fuel filter, chased all wires for shorts, cleaned up the fuel pump ground (this might be it)
              1991 Beastiva L BP autoX'er

Comment

Working...
              X