Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Engine Rebuild. Metal Shavings in Filter. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Engine Rebuild. Metal Shavings in Filter. Help!

Hey guys,

very long story short I built an engine for my dakota. It's been running strong until last week it developed a ticking noise that varied with idle. I figured out the pushrods for slightly too long and were all broken. I remeasured and purchased correct length push rods, and changed the oil. I checked the oil filter and kept a sample of the oil and noticed it's got a ton of copper shavings in it, and it has a different knocking sound now. Nothing really bigger than a grain of sand, it makes the oil look metallic. Everything in the engine is brand new. The oil pressure has never faltered and has always been good. About 40psi at idle, up to 80 on load.

The knock persists if I remove the spark plug wire from the cylinder I hear it on while running. I think it stops when I take out the pushrods/rocker arms from the cylinder. The new knock is also RPM dependent (goes faster with RPMS). Although the engine still seems to run strong and have full power even with the knock. Speaking of which, the motor has 580 miles on it, and this is it's 4th oil change (had to change it a few times already due to other issues).

The machine shop that did my heads said they installed copper or brass valve guides in my heads as well. Could it be these? The metal flakes I found are NOT magnetic.

Could it just be that this is normal for break in wear? This is my first time dealing with something like this. I will post pics ASAP

Please let me know what you guys think,
    Karl G.
    Last edited by Flw Sock; 11-13-2016, 05:29 AM.

How loud is the knocking sound?
    Can you hear it from inside the cab with doors and windows shut? That would likely be a rod bearing, or even the crank hitting the dipstick tube.
    Or is it a ticking noise you can only hear with the hood open? That could be a number of different things, like valve adjustment, bent rocker, damaged guides, etc...
    Also, is the metal still showing up in the oil?
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Copper is what sits under bearing Babbitt (sp). I would inspect your bearings (including the cam units) and the distributor gear. You should also check the cam lobes/lifters since you had incorrect length pushrods installed.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
      X