Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking gas by Engine

Hey Festiva family,

I have a 1988 carbed festiva. It is leaking gas on the right side of the air filter. There is a rectangle metal box, and below it two metal tubes that are connedted to the top rectangle metal box. Forgive my primitive description, but I'm not very mechanical. Anyways, the one tibe is cracked where it meets the top box and is leaking fuel. It causes the Festiva to almost "putter out" when at idle.

What is this part so I can replace it? Thanks in advance for the help.Festiva1.jpgFestiva2.jpg

The box takes fresh air and mixes it wth the exhaust as it goes into the catalytic converter. Should not be any fuel. However the mechanical fuel pump is located nearby on the top right rear of the engine block. That could be leaking. Could fuel perhaps be spraying from one of the two hoses at the pump onto the metal box?
    Last edited by WmWatt; 11-13-2016, 04:55 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for the reply WmWatt. I attached a pcture to help me explain. The red circle is where the fuel is leaking. You can see some grey JB weld on it. The red "X" is where the fuel settles after leaking from the top of the "pipe". I hope this helps. Is that unit the mechanical fuel pump you're refering to? It seems like it's supposed to be attached to the bottom of the box, but I'm not sure.Festiva1.jpg
      Last edited by G-man422; 11-13-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

They are not supposed to be connected in any way. There is also supposed to be a second large hose on the P.A.I.R. box (on the intake). New fuel pumps are cheap enough and save you from a potential fire. I'm going to suspect that the pump has been rubbed through because the air box isn't mounted correctly. There should be a 3/16-1/4" gap between the pump and PAIR box. I have the same pump on Scrappy.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
        X