SIMPLE HOW-TO PLEAS: Replacing my alternator(:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIMPLE HOW-TO PLEAS: Replacing my alternator(:

Hey y'all ! Im back again today because i need my alternator done and after reading some online how tos, i think i am very capable of it ! However, i was jsut looking for reassurance as far as if it fairly straightforward for festivas in particular (mine is a 93 auto) and if there are any tips i should keep in mind.
    Also belt tensioner??? is this automatic, simple stuff or should i prepare myself (?)

Thanks for reading
    have a good one !!

You'll want a large flat tip screw driver or medium size pry bar.

First, obviously, disconnect the battery. Then it's easier to remove the alt harness from underneath if you can get under the car. Once the harness is free, remove the nut from the lower bolt (pivot bolt). Then from the top, remove the tention bolt and loosen the tention bracket and belt. Then remove the lower pivot bolt and the alt will come right out.

Install is reverse of removal.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

welcomsign

You can do it. Just need a gentle pull on a crowbar to put some tension on the belt before re-tightening the bolts. Feel the proper belt tension before you begin.

Comment

Take pictures of how everything looks before you start if you are unsure of anything. Lay your bolts down in the order you took them off. be sure to loosen the electrical connections on the alt before you dismount it. Use the right tool for the space. Take your time. Have a backup car ready incase you need to run back to the parts store for some reason.

Auto work is very easy if you just take a minute to look at what your about to do and think it over before you act.
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

To measure belt tension lay a straight edge across the to of the alternator and water pump pullies. Then press down in the middle with a ruler and measure the deflection. I'll have to go check the measurement in Haynes manual and get back here. If the belt is too loose it will chirp. If it's too tight it will wear out the bearings on the alternator prematurely which will eventually squeal.

I'm back. Haynes says deflection on .35-.39 inches or 9-10 mm on a USED BELT (that's 3/8")
          and .31-.35 inches or 8-9 mm on a NEW BELT
          Last edited by WmWatt; 11-16-2016, 09:45 AM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Also, if you can be without your car for a day or two, try to find a local rebuilder to rebuild your alternator instead of buying the crap the parts stores are turning out these days.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

Thanks so much yall, i had work so i had to stop right in the middle, but the old guy is officially out, just waiting for some sunlight to get the new one in. Also my belt was real tore up, so i had to buy another one of those guys (uh x_x) but thanks for all the help,i really appreciate it !!!

Comment

Working...
              X